I'm having the same problem as jheft (see below). Any ideas? I'm pulling my hair out. Thanks!

Phas

i tried all the registry commands and they all went successfully except
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

when i entered this command i got the message:

shell32.dll was loaded, but the dllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
dllRegisterServer may not be exported, or a corrupt version of Shell32.dll may be in memory. Consider using PView to detect and remove it.

What does that all mean and what can I do about it?

thanks for this great site and any help you can give.

jheft

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Phas,

You need to post your question in it's own separate thread. When multiple people "piggyback" their questions on to a thread started by another member it quickly becomes difficult to follow the multiple troubleshoots.

Thanks for understanding :)

- Dave

DMR,

You’re right. Sorry about that. OK, it all started like this. I was having the same problem as someone named ashkan. He said:
+++
When you click on some links, they go straight to the link without opening up a new IE and some links tend to open up a new IE to show the linked page, well when I click on the ones that have to open up a new IE, the new IE opens but it doesn't show anything on the page. I figured it might be one of my custom level functions but i don't know which, thanks.
Then antioed said:
+++
For IE 6 try:

Start-->Run-->regsvr32 urlmon.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Msjava.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Browseui.dll
Start-->Run-->regsvr32 Shell32.dll

shouldn't have to reboot...
That seemed to work for ashkan, but not for jheft (or me for that matter). jheft said:
+++
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

when i entered this command i got the message:

shell32.dll was loaded, but the dllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
dllRegisterServer may not be exported, or a corrupt version of Shell32.dll may be in memory. Consider using PView to detect and remove it.

What does that all mean and what can I do about it?
Then I said:
+++
I'm having the same problem as jheft (see below). Any ideas? I'm pulling my hair out. Thanks!

Phas

Do you guys know what I should do? I tried using a program called PrcView but I couldn’t locate anything called regsvr32 Shell32.dll. Also can’t find it with the find tool, even when I scan my entire computer, so it’s not on my computer. Next, I tried pulling it off my W98SE CD and it’s not on their either. I’m so frustrated I’m about to freak. Can someone help me before I have to format my hard drive or buy a new computer?
Thanks SO much,
Phas

Oops, forgot to add that I'm using W98SE and IE 6.0

Thanks!
Phas

OK with the shell32.dll. Moving on, I read the article (thanks for recommending it) and the next thing it says for me to do is:

If the problem is still not resolved, verify that the following registry values are present and correct:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
Name: (Default)
Value: IDispatch
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid
Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32
Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

I'm not a programmer, so this all looks greek to me. How do I do this? Thanks again!

Phas

Running the regsvr32 command on shell32.dll only works in Win 2k and XP- that's probably why you're getting the error.

Have you looked at this article from MS?:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281679&sd=tech

Ok, you need to use the Registry Editor to perform the tasks you're asking about. Be careful not to change anything yet while in the Editor- a wrong change there can render your system useless!!

Click the "Run..." option under your Start button and type "regedit" (omit the quotes) in the resulting dialog box; this will start the Editor. The window it presents will look very much like what you see when you use Windows Explorer to browse your folders, except for the fact you're looking at the hierarchy of your Registry instead of the hierarcy of folders on your hard drive.

From that initial window it should be pretty intuitive as to how to navigate to the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\ location ("HKLM" is shorthand for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE root "folder"). Once there, verify that the values in the {00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} key are those given in the article.

Repost here if you have further questions, or if the registry values you find don't match those given in the Microsoft article.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the problem. The registry values are present and correct. The MS article says to reinstall IE. I really don't want to do that as that requires formatting my hard drive. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Phas

Ok, you need to use the Registry Editor to perform the tasks you're asking about. Be careful not to change anything yet while in the Editor- a wrong change there can render your system useless!!

Click the "Run..." option under your Start button and type "regedit" (omit the quotes) in the resulting dialog box; this will start the Editor. The window it presents will look very much like what you see when you use Windows Explorer to browse your folders, except for the fact you're looking at the hierarchy of your Registry instead of the hierarcy of folders on your hard drive.

From that initial window it should be pretty intuitive as to how to navigate to the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\ location ("HKLM" is shorthand for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE root "folder"). Once there, verify that the values in the {00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} key are those given in the article.

Repost here if you have further questions, or if the registry values you find don't match those given in the Microsoft article.

Bummer- nothing else comes to my mind. Hopefully one of our other memebers will offer a suggestion.

Running the regsvr32 command on shell32.dll only works in Win 2k and XP- that's probably why you're getting the error.

Have you looked at this article from MS?:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281679&sd=tech

yes, for win9x you use regsvr32 shdoc401.dll

btw, when you post a part of question from another question, could you possibly include their question too or even better a link to the OP?!...

ex: title: Phas: IE 6 Can't open new windows from link clicked
question:
regsvr32 Shell32.dll ...

it was really confusing trying to fuiger out what was going on... I had to find jheft's post before I could answer yours!

it was really confusing trying to fuiger out what was going on... I had to find jheft's post before I could answer yours!

Yeah, this question was originally "piggybacked" onto that other thread; it didn't traslate too well after I split it out into its own thread...

maybe if I did more then just glance at the second post I would have caught your comment... my bad!

Repost here if you have further questions, or if the registry values you find don't match those given in the Microsoft article.[/QUOT

Occ32: After you open hte initial window I don't know where to go....? Meaning how to get to "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\"

Hello everyone,

I was having the same issue with IE not loading pages so I searched other message boards and ran across this. I tried it and it worked...hope this helps....

re: IE will not open links, urls, http://, in Outlook 6, how do I fix this
Friday, November 1, 2002 at 2:44 am

Dear all, Just go to Tools->Internet Option->Programs -> Click : Reset Web Setting. Your all link will be resotre and will work in outlook and even in messanger. Regards Jaweed Sarfraz

On Tuesday, July 30, 2002 at 9:41 pm, Matthew wrote:

>Thanks Joe, still isn't working sad but true. Haven't rebooted yet though. I wish
>I could find something pertaining to this on Microsofts help dbase. Haven't so
far.
> If someone has a similar problem post a reply will ya. Want to know if this works
>now or not. Thanks again Joe.
>
>
>

Hey..that seemed to do the trick for me..thanks alot.

Hey,
It may be that the link you requested is a Java link or a similar like acrobat programme what exacly does it do when you try to open a link? Does it just stay on the current page or say "page cannot be displayed"

Parcan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.