How do I resolve IRQ sharing? I saw that I had 2-3 Devices sharing the same IRQ. Everything works fine, but I wanted to know how I could resolve this issue if a greater conflict does occur. Running Windows 2000 Professional.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

How old is this system?

Any modern OS using PCI cards will undoubtedly share some IRQs. Honestly, there's little that can be done about it. If you're using ISA cards, though, there are sometimes jumpers on the cards that can set the IRQ and ioport that it's using. Some 3com NICs even have utilities that change the IRQ and ioports.

You are unlikely to get IRQ sharing problems with modern systems using PCI cards. There are only a limited number of IRQs available, some of which are allocated to motherboard functions.

Unless you have a problem, simply don't worry about it.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I agree if your using any NT based Windows box you don't have to worry about it. Remember your not on a old system example Windows 95/98/ME. When you plug something in the PCI slot it will auto resolve a IRQ don't worry about it I give it one more year and the word IRQ will be gone nobody will know what that means.

I see what you guys are saying. Thanks for the info.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.