I'm having problems running sfc. Well, I'm also having problems running msinfo32.exe and the Help & Support feature, but from what I have been able to find out on all the various forums is that if I run SFC I may be able to fix the other problems.

When I try to run sfc /scannow via Run->CMD->sfc /scannow it comes up with the following error:

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files
The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server in unavailable]

If I go into Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services and check on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) it says is is "started". The Remote Procedure Call Locator is also started.

I have no idea what to do next, or how to fix this ****-ing problem!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

think it has got to do something with verisign time stamping.

Actually, it turned out to be as a result of Protel 99 SE. I don't really understand what it did when I installed it, but this link gives details of what I had to do to fix the problems.
http://www.mail-archive.com/peda@techservinc.com/msg02950.html
(you need to scroll down to the part about WINDIR in the Registry)

I now have Help & Support, System Information and SFC all working perfectly!! Hooray :-)

For others having this problem, this error can also be due to file permissions on the the windows folder where services files are stored in %system32% folder. I think protel 99 se had restricted access to this folder to protect your computer. Giving local system read / write permission will allow access but do not give full access or you will leave your system open to attacks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.