I guess this is the closest spot I could post this :)

Anyway, I recently got a hold of an old Pentium 90, going to use it to play old games that don't work on XP and in windows...
When I try to play a game that requires the game-cd, it just asks for the cd. When I try to go to D:\ in dos, it says that it doesn't exist.

So, I need some sort of driver, or something that can activate the cd-rom in dos mode.

Any tips??

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

You can use the program CDENAB.exe, located at this FTP site:
http://ftp1.us.dell.com/utility/

Run it, and it's supposed to make a boot disk that will allow your system to have CD-ROM support in DOS. Once you've booted from that floppy, and you're in DOS, you should be able to just type from an A:\ prompt:

copy *.* C:\*.*

Then, remove the floppy, and reboot. Your DOS install should have CD support.

Ok, I'll try that! :)
Sorry for replying so late, but I was busy...

you dont need to download anything... windows comes with it...
for windows 9x... look for mscdex.exe if you are using nt or 2k-xp, look for mscdexnt.exe. should be in the windows system folder.

all you have to do is add the following line to autoexec.bat

LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

and your all set... easy as cake... :-p

you dont need to download anything... windows comes with it...
for windows 9x... look for mscdex.exe if you are using nt or 2k-xp, look for mscdexnt.exe. should be in the windows system folder.

all you have to do is add the following line to autoexec.bat

LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

and your all set... easy as cake... :-p

you still need the CD driver, it should be included in the config.sys file. I forgot how to do this, I used to do this all the time... but if you boot using a win98 bootdisk, there is an option to boot with CDrom support.

haha, he's right... I forgot to mention the driver file... the generic one windows uses is called oakcdrom.sys. I forget where it is located on windows 9x... but I know win2k does not have it. you can grab this file from the MS bootdisk or from www.computerhope.com/download/hardware/oakcdrom.sys.

you need to add the driver file to your config.sys like so

DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\oakcdrom.sys /D:MSCD001

change the path to where ever the file is located

** wow, its been along time since ive had to do that :-p. Thanks for pointing that out Oalee.

I still do it sometimes... when i have to format computers that using a bootdisk and installing from a cdrom. tedious job though... oh! btw, before you can use devicehigh in the config.sys or loadhigh in the autoexec.bat file you should have himem.sys loaded.

I downloaded that exe file and made the boot disk, and it worked fine! Thanks guys for all the tips :p

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.