Hello! I am new to the forum. I found your site thru a Google search.
I am somewhat skilled in dealing with computer issues, so I am helping my Dad who is clueless. The downside of this is that I don't have the computer right in front of me, but I can get any needed info pretty quickly.

The original issue was an error message that we receive when trying to play music. this is the message from Windows Media Player.

Quote:
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly.

He is running Win2000Pro Svc Pack 4, and the Windows Media Player is version 9.

At first I thought it might be an issue with the cd-r/rw, but that functions just fine. Also, he has no sound whatsoever. No notification sounds or music that is embedded into websites will play.

In device manager there was one device that is having trouble (!). It was an unidentified multimedia device. It said that the driver was not installed but I had no clue where to find the driver because he doesn't have a sound card or any other multimedia devices installed and of course, since it was unidentified, it gave me no info.

I attempted to uninstall the unidentified device yesterday through the troubleshooter, thinking that it was something he had downloaded in error that conflicted with the previous configuration of his audio, but the add new hardware wizard kept locating the device and wanting me to install it.

Today, when I asked my dad to get me the exact info on that unidentified device, it was not there. I had him reboot, thinking it would activate the add new hardware wizard and find it, but no luck.

When I had him go to the add/remove hardware icon in the control panel to activate the wizard that way, the system rebooted when he clicked next on the add/troubleshoot a device button. This has happened 3 times now.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. Should I try to repair Windows, or are there better options?

TIA for your help!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

In device manager there was one device that is having trouble (!). It was an unidentified multimedia device. It said that the driver was not installed but I had no clue where to find the driver because he doesn't have a sound card or any other multimedia devices installed and of course, since it was unidentified, it gave me no info.

He doesn't have a sound card? I'm sure he has an integrated sound card.. I would suggest going to the manufacturer's website and downloading drivers from them...

Thank you for your response.
Actually, what I meant was that device manager doesn't show any sound devices installed, meaning drivers are not installed, right? He obviously does have an integrated sound card, but I don't know how to locate the motherboard info. Is there a program or something that will give me this information, or an easy way to find out? If I knew that I could easily go to the manufacturers website and download the drivers. This is an old emachine, but some of the components have been changed. Thanks again!

Thank you for your response.
Actually, what I meant was that device manager doesn't show any sound devices installed, meaning drivers are not installed, right? He obviously does have an integrated sound card, but I don't know how to locate the motherboard info. Is there a program or something that will give me this information, or an easy way to find out? If I knew that I could easily go to the manufacturers website and download the drivers. This is an old emachine, but some of the components have been changed. Thanks again!

You can go to the emachines website and look up your particular build.. It should tell you about all your system components. Also, there should be some 'unknown' devices in the device manager.. one of these is your sound device.. Right click it and go to properties. There should be a 'reinstall driver' option, click this and see what happens..

oh btw, a system restore may help..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.