Have a Dell Demension 3100. PC. It is a windows xp media center sp2. These computer dont come with floopy drive, so i am trying to install a floopy, but to no avail.It wont recognize the hardware.
I have attached a data cable , since none was provided with the pc.
i have gone into Bios set up , but sort of confused as to what to do?
I highlighted Disket Drive and the following pop up viz:

DRIVE O SATA-O
DRIVE 1 SATA-2
DRIVE2 PATA-O
DRIVE3 PATA-1

Do i need to change any of these setting to activate the floopy drive?.

It says OFF : ALL FLOOPY FLOOPY DRIVE ARE DISABLED.

USB; USB FLOOPY DRIVES ARE ENABLED.

Need some guidance as how to complete installation.

Rascabuche:?:

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Where it say all floopy drives are disabled try enabling it.

Where it say all floopy drives are disabled try enabling it.

dcc,
i have tried to do as u say, but the button " OFF " is highlighted in green and wont move. here is how the screen looks.

OFF USB INTERNAL READ ONLY

This field determines how bios configures floopy drives. operating systems with USB support will recognize USB floopy drivers regardless of their setting.

OFF = ALL FLOOPY DRIVES ARE DISABLED

USB = USB FLOOPY DRIVES ARE ENABLED

INTERNAL=THE INTEGRATED DRIVE IS ENABLED

READ ONLY = THE INTEGRATED FLOOPY DRIVE IS ENABLED AND ONLY ALLOWS READ.
THE FACTORY DEFAULT SETTING IS INTERNAL.

I have gone to off with my arrow keys, but only get highlighted in green, so i press enter, but nothing happen. Is there something i am doing wrong???

On the left hand side of the screen u have these features:

DISKET DRIVES

DRIVE O SATA O
DRIVE 1 SATA 2
DRIVE 2 PATA O
DRIVE 3 PATA 1

WHAT DOES THESE DRIVES MEANS . DO I HAVE SOMETHING TO DO TO ANY OF THEM, TO MAKE THE CHANGES???

THANKS

RASC:?:

dcc,
i have tried to do as u say, but the button " OFF " is highlighted in green and wont move. here is how the screen looks.

OFF USB INTERNAL READ ONLY

This field determines how bios configures floopy drives. operating systems with USB support will recognize USB floopy drivers regardless of their setting.

OFF = ALL FLOOPY DRIVES ARE DISABLED

USB = USB FLOOPY DRIVES ARE ENABLED

INTERNAL=THE INTEGRATED DRIVE IS ENABLED

Collegues,

READ ONLY = THE INTEGRATED FLOOPY DRIVE IS ENABLED AND ONLY ALLOWS READ.
THE FACTORY DEFAULT SETTING IS INTERNAL.

I have gone to off with my arrow keys, but only get highlighted in green, so i press enter, but nothing happen. Is there something i am doing wrong???

On the left hand side of the screen u have these features:

DISKET DRIVES

DRIVE O SATA O
DRIVE 1 SATA 2
DRIVE 2 PATA O
DRIVE 3 PATA 1

WHAT DOES THESE DRIVES MEANS . DO I HAVE SOMETHING TO DO TO ANY OF THEM, TO MAKE THE CHANGES???

THANKS

RASC:?:

collegues,
It was easy as ABC, yet it was so duifficult for me, and i guess i made it more difficult for u all, by not giving u all sufficient informatio.

NEVER GIVE UP UNTIL U SOLVE THE PROBLEMS U CREATED.

I decided to give it another try, so i hit the f2 keyand got into bios,then got into diskett drive and as soon as i hit that ket the following appeard.viz: OFF--------USB-----INTERNAL-------READ ONLY, I then highlighted the internal key and pressed enter and exited and that was it.
Thanks to all who assisted me.

Rasc:)

Ive got a dimension 5150. Its the same here. Just set it from USB to internal after connecting it up (on my pc the flopyp cable is taped to the bottom of the case?)

By the way on my pc and maybe on yours rather than adjjusting the boot you can hit f12 to choose a one off boot device.

Floppy instillation is actually in your dell manual. Check c:\dell

I know what a floppy drive is, but what's a floopy drive?

woops!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.