I'm running IE 6 on XP and for some strange reasons, when I'm logged onto Yahoo mail, every once in a while I get a message telling me I need to upgrade my browser to IE 5. It also tells me I need to enable my javascript. My javascript is enabled. If I log out of my ISP and then come back, then it's okay. But the problem continues periodically and doesn't go away.
Also when I'm using Geocities file manager, I get a not responding after it opens up. I can do everything else, I can upload, I can use the advance editor, it just freezes me out of file manager. It's not a problem with my account because I can the same thing on other computers.
I would really appreciate it if anyone can offer any advise at all.

Chelsi

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I'm running IE 6 on XP and for some strange reasons, when I'm logged onto Yahoo mail, every once in a while I get a message telling me I need to upgrade my browser to IE 5. It also tells me I need to enable my javascript.

To me it sounds like your Microsoft Java Virtual Machine is broken. The best way to fix it is to install the Sun Java Runtime Environment. The latest version is available at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html and is about 14 MB in size. I've found that it's a lot better, anyway; its more up-to-date and not crippled like the MS implementation.

just posted this for another issue, but it may well be applicable to your issue as well, and its a good way to establish a baseline for further t/s.

try the following:
1) launch IE, go to Tools & then Internet Options;
2) on the General tab (which it launches to) delete cookies and temporary internet files, including all offline content;
3) go to Advanced tab, lower right click on restore defaults and click Apply;
4) go to Programs tab, middle left click on reset web setting, (recommend you deslect reset homepage);
5) go to Privacy tab (if present), if Default Levels button is active click it;
6) go to Security tab and for each zone set levels to Default Levels if said button is active; click OK.
HTH

Thanks for the advise, Aeinstein. Actually that was the first thing I did as soon I started noticing the problem, but unfortunately it didn't help.

Thanks TallCool1, I did as you suggested and downloaded the Java Runtime Environment. It's been two days and I haven't run into the same problem yet, so yay, thanks! Now I just have to figure out why the file manager would not run.

Thanks again,
Chelsi

Sorry to confuse you, I posted 2 problems in the same post. The first one was the switching back to an earlier version on IE, the second was every time when I try to open up the file manger in one of my Geocities sites, it freezes on me after the page is loaded. It's not an account problem since I can get into file manager on other PCs and it's not a Geocities problem since I can get into FM on other geocities accounts. The problem seems to be on just one particular page, and it's driving me crazy! Any ideas?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.