Hey,

After all the fuss of installing a new motherboard and CPU, I realized I needed to buy a new HDD. So, I went out and bought a 250 gb Western Digital HDD. I installed MCE normally and I went to see how much space is left on my HDD and it says 137gb Total!!!?????!!?!?

Alright so I have read a whole bunch of articles about how to fix this but I still don't understand how to do this.....

Does anyone know how to I can get the rest of my HDD back???

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If you are using Windows XP with service pack 2 you should be able to see the whole 250GB. Did you install the SP2?

If you want to partition the remainder you can go to your control panel > administrative tools > computer management > disk management.

Since you have just installed it and don't have a great deal of files to back up the easiest way to deal with this would be to reformat the hdd and use two or more partitions. There is an advantage to this, with you OS on a separate partition you can reformat that partition only if your OS needs to be reinstalled, this way you don't have to worry about reinstalling all your files.

The hdd should have come with a utility to set up the hdd, did you use it?

I did receive a program when I bought the HDD, but I could not figure out how to maximize the drives space. When i put the disk in it said that it was going to maximize the drive size and restart, but on the restart the drive size was the same....I'm currently not near that PC, but when I installed MCE on my computer before, it said it had SP2. So I figured that it would do the same.

It is using Service Pack 2...and i checked the registry and it had EnableBigLba

If the 48 bit LBA is enabled then you should be able to see the whole capacity.

I was trying to put it in when i found it in the registry. The only thing I thought was different was the data value....it was 1x00000000001 (1).....I thought it should have been 1x0

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.