Recently, our emachines computer crashed (surprise, surprise). From what I can tell, the entire motherboard is no longer usable for whatever reason. There was some valuable information on the hard drive, so I installed it as a secondary hd in another computer. (From my previous experience, I have simply been able to move hard drives from one computer to another without any problems at all.) The next time I booted it, all worked well, and the information from the secondary hd was available.

However, when I attempted to boot from the secondary hd (I tried making it primary hd, and simply changing the boot sequence from the bios), XP would repeatedly crash. It doesn't matter which advanced option I choose (Safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, etc.) the XP loading icon will temporarily appear, and a blue screen of death will flash, then the computer will restart. I've tried pausing the screen at the BSOD and even taking a picture of it, but it flashes too quickly and I am unable to read it.

I read through this thread: http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread78608-2.html
but did not find anything helpful.. The two computers are very different, but I have always been able to swap hard drives and boot them from different machines in the past..

Thanks for any help/suggestions..

[edit] I am assuming that this is an XP problem, because I have tried booting from another hard drive, and all worked fine. Also, I have tried using the recovery console and repairing the XP installation, but to no avail.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Have you ever asked your self why hdds don't come with an OS already installed?

When a hdd is installed the OS will look at a couple of things and add what is needed, one of these things are the drivers needed for the motherboard and its chip set Because the hdd has "customized" itself to this motherboard it will experience a great deal of confusion which can be fatal when introduced to another motherboard with differences.

I thought you were excommunicated.

Yes, I had been banned, but they revoked the ban as it was unfair.. you don't seem happy to see me posting again lol..

As for the current problem: hds actually do come installed with the OS on most proprietary systems, as is the case here. And I do realize that the hd uses the chip set information during boot; however, the hd should be able to adapt to new changes. As I said earlier, I have managed to swap other hd quite easily.

If the problem is the hd's inability to adapt to the new changes, how exactly could I fix this?

Your are not going to go to Tiger Direct or Newegg and purchase a hdd with a OS installed. I'm not talking about oem computers with a OS installed, you're splitting hairs.

If you have done this before and survived then the chip set had to be close or the same. If the OS system becomes corrupted enough you will have to reinstall the OS.

HAL would be umm... bemused if dropped onto another mobo...

icic.. I guess I will just have to deal with it not being bootable =/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.