i am using windows xp home sp1. i downloaded and installed the version5 update. with it installed i can't get online. it dials in appears to be online but all pages come back as can't connect. i have reinstalled earthlink, rebuilt my internet connection, disabled firewalls. i am now at a loss. any ideas appreciated. i had to restore to get online.
thanks
Conrad

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

What are you referring to when you say the 'Version 5 preview'? Where did you obtain it from?

Microsoft maybe? hmm

it is a microsoft update part of sp2. i downloaded again and this time it seems to work. not great, but it works.
thanks
conrad

Maybe he is a beta tester? but, maybe not

Nope. I've a fully updated Windows XP Home installation here on one of my machines, and a look through the Windows Update 'Installation history' suggests that the update referred to might be "814078:Security update (Microsoft JScript version 5.6, Windows 2000, Windows XP)"

A failed install of that one would explain the internet problems, I'd imagine.

i loaded Windows Update Version 5 Preview from microsoft. now have windows xp home sp2 v. 2149 and it is running ok.
Conrad

i loaded Windows Update Version 5 Preview from microsoft. now have windows xp home sp2 v. 2149 and it is running ok.
Conrad

Could you please post a link here to the microsoft site, where you got it from ,thanks.
Its still Beta i believe isn't it !

Could you please post a link here to the microsoft site, where you got it from ,thanks.
Its still Beta i believe isn't it !

Righto! Now I've worked out what this is about! :o

But rather than a direct link to the download page, perhaps it'd be better to link to the preceding disclaimer page:

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com./v5consumer/thanks/aspx?ln=en-us&thankspage=6

The following warning is posted there:

Warning and Notice Windows Update version 5 includes pre-release software and a pre-release update service. They are provided for testing purposes only and technical support is not available. Use of them is subject to the Terms of Use, and software is subject to any license agreement provided in connection with it. Microsoft intends to offer the updates available on the Windows Update version 4 site on the Windows Update version 5 Preview site concurrently. Sometimes updates may not be posted to the Windows Update version 5 Preview site as quickly as they are posted to the Windows Update version 4 site.

Yes, it's a beta product. If there are issues which result from using it, that fact should come as no surprise because to download it you should already have agreed to take full responsibility for that event. It's a wise practice to use a separate PC for testing Beta software.

CatWeazle ,you don't need to be red faced ! it took me awhile too!

Conrad

Well its running OK ,that all that can be expected giving that its Microsoft!LOL

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.