I am currently using Windows XP.LAst week my IE quit wqorking for all practical purposes. When I go to Tools/Internet options and then the Advanced tab, my screen is blank. I had the computer in the shop for several days and at least I can use Explorer in the general sense. I also cant delete mail from Yahoo any longer.I am at wits end. I tried to install a newer version of IE and the computer wont lewt me.IT says I have a newer version already installed which is simply not true. I have 5.1 installed and want to go to 6.0. Any suggestions as to what to try now?
Thanks

Beth

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

For starters, Beth, I've never heard of Internet Explorer version 5.1, only version 5.0 or version 5.5

For seconds, Windows XP comes with Internet Explorer version 6 as standard! If you've somehow 'forced' an earlier version onto it (and I didn't think that was possible) then I'd suggest you format and reinstall fresh! At the very least, I'd suggest you perform an In place upgrade to fix any problems created.

But if it's not, in fact, an earlier version you have there then your updates should come from the Windows Update website.

I'll move this to the 'Internet Explorer' forum section, by the way. You'll have more chance of getting further advice there :D

Hi and welcome, by the way!

For starters, Beth, I've never heard of Internet Explorer version 5.1, only version 5.0 or version 5.5

For seconds, Windows XP comes with Internet Explorer version 6 as standard! If you've somehow 'forced' an earlier version onto it (and I didn't think that was possible) then I'd suggest you format and reinstall fresh! At the very least, I'd suggest you perform an In place upgrade to fix any problems created.

But if it's not, in fact, an earlier version you have there then your updates should come from the Windows Update website.

I'll move this to the 'Internet Explorer' forum section, by the way. You'll have more chance of getting further advice there :D

Hi and welcome, by the way!

Thanks...It is IE 6 but when I go to the website to try to download 'fixes' or patches or even try to submit a question I get a blank screen. I even tried to reinstall Windows XP from the disk but it says NIDVIA is preventing me from reinstalling . This all started when lighting( I think) hit my computer. My modem was fine but I have had problems running other programs such as the new yahoo messenger. The newest version wouldnt let me use it because I supposedly had an older version on IE.( I thought 6 was the newest) The computer tech who has always worked on my computer before has tried a variety of things to try to get me running. Once again thanks for your advice. I will try anything at this point. Beth

Try the topic about performing a clean install of Windows XP in my sig, Beth.

It has a couple of articles linked in it. One will help you prepare for a format and fresh install of Windows and your programs, the other will help you do it! ;)

If a format/fresh install doesn't get things working properly, then I think you may have suffered some hardware damage from that lightning strike!

The newest version wouldnt let me use it because I supposedly had an older version on IE.( I thought 6 was the newest)

Since you mentioned a lightning strike, you could definitely have bigger problems than a corrupted IE, but if not, here's some info from MS concerning the IE reinstall issue:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:

"Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.
Setup cannot continue."

To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, follow these steps:

1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
  3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.

4. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.

When I get to the step that says " Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify. I dont have a registry subkey that says"Isinstalled" Soooooooo----what now??

I am seriously thinking of having the whole computer wiped clean and starting over .....

Beth

What DMR is saying is look for the registry key {89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383} you can either navigate yourself there VIA

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

or open your registry editor hold CTRL + F to do a find and enter this {89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

I am seriously thinking of having the whole computer wiped clean and starting over .....

Beth

In your situation, Beth (following serious electrical 'zappage') I'd be seriously considering that as well. If problems continue to crop up, wipe and reinstall for certain. You need the security of mind that a fresh, clean install would bring to be able to start making judgements about whether or not any physical damage may be present.

In your situation, Beth (following serious electrical 'zappage') I'd be seriously considering that as well. If problems continue to crop up, wipe and reinstall for certain. You need the security of mind that a fresh, clean install would bring to be able to start making judgements about whether or not any physical damage may be present.

Ive tried every suggestion known to man...none have even come close to working..I Will take it Monday and have it all wiped out and reinstalled..It will be easier in the long run~ Im sure its why I cant delete mail from my yahoo account..Im sure its all connected somehow.

Thanks for all your help~~~~~~~
Beth

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.