I have an hp computer that has "Media Center" xp on it. I collected MY actual CD key from my computers registry using a program called "Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder."

Now my question is, can I use this key on another computer I'm thinking of building? The HP computer will be completely out of commission and scrapped for parts.

If that is possible, how would I go about getting free (or close to it) install CDs for xp.

Thanks for any answers =)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

That key is for that machine only. It would work with an OEM install of Windows on another machine. But legally it is tied to the machine it came with.

If this is a retale version of xp, when you load it in the new machine and try to register it you will get a message and phone number for microsoft, call that number and explain that the other machine has crash and this is a replacement computer, the person on the the phone will then give you a key number to activate your program. If the disc you have is a HP recovery set, sorry, they wan't load on a new machine. Been there, done that.

Its an OEM copy so its tied to the hardware it came with

i,ve use the wixp key off of a older ibm laptop,used it on a amd 2800+ computer tower i built from a missmatch box of parts, some new some old ,and it activated with out problems,still in used now after about 4mnts.

I seem to be getting lots of different answers...

It seems if you explain yourself to the Microsoft people you MIGHT get a new CD key?

Anyways.. thanks for the help so far :x

i,ve use the wixp key off of a older ibm laptop,used it on a amd 2800+ computer tower i built from a missmatch box of parts, some new some old ,and it activated with out problems,still in used now after about 4mnts.

No one is saying it won't work. An OEM key with an OEM cd will work. It's just illegal.

No one is saying it won't work. An OEM key with an OEM cd will work. It's just illegal.

OH!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.