OK, so given that Microsoft has seen fit not to include Fax and Scan with Vista Home Premium (although Business and Ultimate users get it) what Vista friendly third party apps are you using to replace the missing fax functionality?

Assuming, of course, you do not have an all-in-one printer come fax machine to handle such things that is...

<M/> commented: :D +8

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Like 90% of existing fax utilities are not vista compatible

Even with an AIO printer, the vendor software that allowed me to fax from my desktop via the AIO won't work in Vista HP. Apparently it ran on top of the MS fax support that no longer exists.

I tried to update to the Ultimate Edition but going form Vista to Vista failed everytime. I originally upgraded from XP SP2 to Vista HP with no problem. Go figure.

Sorry to tell you this, but I scan with Vista home premium all the time.
I have an older printer- an HP1210. And it works just fine. Here is what I do:

Scanning
Scanning with Windows Photo Gallery
Click the Start icon.
Click All Programs .
Click Windows Photo Gallery .
Click File and then click Import From Scanner or Camera .
Click Import .
Click Scan .

this is directly from the HP website. I tried it, and have scanned at least 50 documents so far. I hope this helps you all. Good luck- perhaps your printer will not allow it.
As far as faxing- I'm not that far yet! Just wanted to post this in case people are having a hard time scanning. Thanks!
nickle

Fax and Scan is the name Microsoft has given its faxing and scanning functions included in Vista Business Premium, Ultimate and Enterprise. We can all scan, it is the faxing capability that was removed by Microsoft in Vista Home Basic, Premium and Business Basic. Since I have an AIO, technically, I can still fax out directly from the printer but if I want to fax something from my computer, I now have to print it out first and then fax it from the printer. I am one of the lucky ones. I still have XP on my notebook and my printer is networked so now I do most of my faxing from my notebook.

Eileen Souza

Scanning
Click the Start icon.
Click All Programs .
Click Import .
Click Scan .

this is directly from the HP website. I tried it, and have scanned at least 50 documents so far. I hope this helps you all. Good luck- perhaps your printer will not allow it.
As far as faxing- I'm not that far yet! Just wanted to post this in case people are having a hard time scanning. Thanks!
nickle

OK, so given that Microsoft has seen fit not to include Fax and Scan with Vista Home Premium (although Business and Ultimate users get it) what Vista friendly third party apps are you using to replace the missing fax functionality?

Assuming, of course, you do not have an all-in-one printer come fax machine to handle such things that is...

DOES ANYBODY HAS A FREEWARE FAX PROGRAM FOR VISTA ?
THANKS

Most existing XP Fax programs rely on XPs underlying fax system (which vista home doesnt have) and there are not many people using fax these days so no i doubt you will find many freeware fax programs for vista

Need help anyone.
Noob trying to get things right. I initially trolled the web to see if I can fax from my laptop Vista using my AIO Dell 964 but apparently it has only worked for people with XP.
Funny thing is, I was looking for the Vista method because I cannot get it to work with my desktop.
Can someone tell me how to setup faxing from my desktop with XP when I have an AIO in between? The telephone cord connection goes from the outlet to the phone to the AIO to the XP Home desktop modem.
My AIO recognizes the fax easily. But I don't want it to print, I want it to save to Windows FAx/Scan, and I have been unable to send the fax from desktop, it seems to conflict with Dell's FAx utility.
Any solutions?

Look forward to your responses.

ED G

I have recent information on this topic. I went to HP for assistance and downloaded and installed their latest for Vista software and drivers for my AIO 3310 printer. I still could not open their solution center to fax. I had to fax offline, which meant printing out stuff so I could fax it. I spent several months trying to get this resolved with HP until they stopped replying to any of my messages.

In December, I decided to really do a clean install, cleaner than HP ever directed. I searched my entire c: drive for anthing to do with HP or Hewlett Packard or the 3310 printer, which I uninstalled in Device Manager and Printers. I deleted everything I found. I then did the same to the registry, manually deleting all HP keys. I cleaned out temp files and all related HP data that may have been stored in program data, users, or virtual store. I went into MS Config and set up for a minimal boot and restarted my system. When it came up, I disabled my virus checker temporarily and then installed all the most current HP software and drivers for my printer. Lo and behold, I am faxing from my PC again. I use the HP solution center to do it but my fax printer now shows up in printers. I have been without this functionality for 8 months. You would think the vendor would have published something to let folks know how to do a really clean install.

I believe what happened is that I did an upgrade from XP SP2 to Vista Home Premium in April 2007. When I downloaded and installed the Hewlett Packard Vista compatible software and drivers, it did not clean up the XP versions everywhere.

One other old program was also giving me trouble so I did the same thing and finally, I can say after upgrading to Vista 9 months ago, I now have 100% of the functionality that I had before. But don't get me wrong. I actually like Vista. Once you get used to the difference, it is more logically orgranized and provides a much more comprehensive set of diagnositic and troubleshooting tools.

Eileen

Thank you, Eileen!!!

vista is more stable - has some nice tools but i disagree with the logical organisation

take display properties in xp, for example. In xp, you could adjust font smoothing, effects, themes and resolution. In vista its now eperated into 5 stupid submenus uder "personalise"

Scanning
Click the Start icon.
Click All Programs .
Click Import .
Click Scan .

nickle

Thanks for this great answer! I've been having to reboot into XP in order to scan. I'm glad to discover I don't have to do that anymore. Thanks again!

Eileen,

I am a somewhat experienced user who recognizes the terms you use but not how to do them. I have HP CHat support up, but they're no help. I would like to do what you are describing; I bought my cpu new about a year ago, but with Vista already installed. I have 2 AIOs, a Dell Photo 924 and an HP C4500. Neither has a phone cord plug in. Do you have any ideas for me maybe? I have the driver CDs for both printers. I am operating a HP m9340f with Vista 6.0 SP 1. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Jim Hurt

I have recent information on this topic. I went to HP for assistance and downloaded and installed their latest for Vista software and drivers for my AIO 3310 printer. I still could not open their solution center to fax. I had to fax offline, which meant printing out stuff so I could fax it. I spent several months trying to get this resolved with HP until they stopped replying to any of my messages.

In December, I decided to really do a clean install, cleaner than HP ever directed. I searched my entire c: drive for anthing to do with HP or Hewlett Packard or the 3310 printer, which I uninstalled in Device Manager and Printers. I deleted everything I found. I then did the same to the registry, manually deleting all HP keys. I cleaned out temp files and all related HP data that may have been stored in program data, users, or virtual store. I went into MS Config and set up for a minimal boot and restarted my system. When it came up, I disabled my virus checker temporarily and then installed all the most current HP software and drivers for my printer. Lo and behold, I am faxing from my PC again. I use the HP solution center to do it but my fax printer now shows up in printers. I have been without this functionality for 8 months. You would think the vendor would have published something to let folks know how to do a really clean install.

I believe what happened is that I did an upgrade from XP SP2 to Vista Home Premium in April 2007. When I downloaded and installed the Hewlett Packard Vista compatible software and drivers, it did not clean up the XP versions everywhere.

One other old program was also giving me trouble so I did the same thing and finally, I can say after upgrading to Vista 9 months ago, I now have 100% of the functionality that I had before. But don't get me wrong. I actually like Vista. Once you get used to the difference, it is more logically orgranized and provides a much more comprehensive set of diagnositic and troubleshooting tools.

Eileen

You can do it through windows photo gallery but then you have to go into options every time in order to change the scan to location. Unless I just don't see an easy way to browse.

You can do it through windows photo gallery but then you have to go into options every time in order to change the scan to location. Unless I just don't see an easy way to browse.

A) I never use the buttons or 3rd party tools to do my scanning; always scan directly from Photoshop, which will work on ANY Vista/Win7 build

B) Stopped being stingy and migrated to the higher SKU's long ago, so no reason to gripe

Thanks a bunch...worked like a charm! / Monty92

Scanning
Click the Start icon.
Click All Programs .
Click Import .
Click Scan .

nickle

I have been searching for month's for this little tidbit. Thank you!

Reply:
I can't find a fax program, even though HP included a Fax Modem, although I am using DSL, so there is no dial up connection set up. Whatever program that may be available either needs to be able to fax over a DSL connection or a dial up connection needs to be set up to use the Fax Modem. What is out there for safe, free or cheap fax programs? I have been using Windows since version 3.1, and Vista Home Premium 64 bit is the first version without a built in fax routine and the required driver for the modem as it appears. What's the trick here?

bcheprenpe

Enjoy YouTube video, camera video and other video files on iPod, iPhone, Archos, Sansa, PSP, Walkman, Zune, Creative Zen, iRiver, Palm, Cell Phone such as Nokia, Sony XPERIA, Google Phone, BlackBerry and other portable players.

[img]http://www.4videosoft.com/images/guide/video-converter-platinum/archos.jpg[/img]

4Videosoft Video Converter Platinum is the most advanced video converter which can convert between any video formats including MPG, MPEG, MPEG2, MP4, H.264, SWF, FLV, VOB, MOD, M4V, AVI, WMV, 3GP, 3GPP, MOV, DivX, XviD, QuickTime Video, DV, MJPG, MJPEG, MPV, etc, along with HD videos, like HD TS, HD MPG, HD MPEG, HD MP4, HD AVI, etc and extract audio from these video. It also converts between all audio formats including MP3, MP2, AAC, AC3, WAV, WMA, M4A, RM, RAM, OGG, AU, AIF, AIFF, APE, FLAC, NUT with excellent conversion speed and quality.
[img]http://www.4videosoft.com/images/guide/video-converter-platinum/main.gif[/img]

Key Functions:
1. Support the mutual conversion between all the popular video and audio formats
4Videosoft Video Converter Platinum supports all the video and audio formats. Then it can convert them into any other formats.
2. Extract audio from video
Convert video to only the audio for your listening.
3. Video Splitter
4Videosoft Video Converter Platinum has the trim function. It means that you can get any time-length video clips from your video sources.
4. Video Cropper
Adjust the size of video play region and the output aspect ratio to get the perfect playing effect.
5. Video Joiner
Merge your selected video sources into one file after conversion for you to enjoy successively.
6. Take Snapshot
Capture your favorite pictures when you preview. It can be saved in the default folder automatically.

By the way, if you want put DVD on your portable player, 4Videosoft DVD Ripper Platinum is a nice choice. It can Rip DVD to AVI, MP4, MPEG, WMV, 3GP, MP3, WMA etc for iPod, iPhone, PSP, Apple TV, Zune, BlackBerry etc

[img]http://www.4videosoft.com/images/screen/dvd-ripper-platinum.jpg[/img]

Enjoy video on iPod, iPhone, Archos, Sansa, PSP, Walkman, Palm

Enjoy YouTube video, camera video and other video files on iPod, iPhone, Archos, Sansa, PSP, Walkman, Zune, Creative Zen, iRiver, Palm, Cell Phone such as Nokia, Sony XPERIA, Google Phone, BlackBerry and other portable players.

[img]http://www.4videosoft.com/images/guide/video-converter-platinum/archos.jpg[/img]

4Videosoft Video Converter Platinum is the most advanced http://www.4videosoft.com/video-converter-platinum.html video converter which can convert between any video formats including MPG, MPEG, MPEG2, MP4, H.264, SWF, FLV, VOB, MOD, M4V, AVI, WMV, 3GP, 3GPP, MOV, DivX, XviD, QuickTime Video, DV, MJPG, MJPEG, MPV, etc, along with HD videos, like HD TS, HD MPG, HD MPEG, HD MP4, HD AVI, etc and extract audio from these video. It also converts between all audio formats including MP3, MP2, AAC, AC3, WAV, WMA, M4A, RM, RAM, OGG, AU, AIF, AIFF, APE, FLAC, NUT with excellent conversion speed and quality.

[img]http://www.4videosoft.com/images/guide/video-converter-platinum/main.gif[/img]

Key Functions:
1. Support the mutual conversion between all the popular video and audio formats
4Videosoft Video Converter Platinum supports all the video and audio formats. Then it can convert them into any other formats.
2. Extract audio from video
Convert video to only the audio for your listening.
3. Video Splitter
4Videosoft Video Converter Platinum has the trim function. It means that you can get any time-length video clips from your video sources.
4. Video Cropper
Adjust the size of video play region and the output aspect ratio to get the perfect playing effect.
5. Video Joiner
Merge your selected video sources into one file after conversion for you to enjoy successively.
6. Take Snapshot
Capture your favorite pictures when you preview. It can be saved in the default folder automatically.

By the way, if you want put DVD on your portable player, 4Videosoft DVD Ripper Platinum is a nice choice. It can Rip DVD to AVI, MP4, MPEG, WMV, 3GP, MP3, WMA etc for iPod, iPhone, PSP, Apple TV, Zune, BlackBerry etc

[img]http://www.4videosoft.com/images/screen/dvd-ripper-platinum.jpg[/img]

Excuse me, mrwhite, but what does your post have to do with Windows Fax and Scan replacement for Vista Home Premium users?
Looks more like spam.

Classic Phone Tools will fax from Vista Home Premium, and it is free I use it all the time.

is there any kind of directions to follow or are u gonna feed me to the wolves like msn does. and a few of their certified partners. up the creek without a paddle. just leave me hanging to figur it out for myself. and i do half the time. but im a novice at this computer stuff. im winging it here and aint doing a half bad job. but the other half is terrible. gimme some pointers would ya .if i ghet ur software . thankx

What?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.