For the past...two or three weeks, I'll say, my computer has been shutting down at random. There isn't really a specific time period of when it does this because sometimes it'll shut down after about 15 minutes of use or less, and other times it'll shut down after a few hours. Anyway, when it shuts down the screen turns black and then it goes into this blue screen with an error message on it. I'm good with computers to an extent, but I don't really understand what the problem is. The blue screen just basically says that my computer encountered an error and needed to shut down so there could be a problem with the BIOS. Then it gives me options on how to turn my computer back on along with an error code with a bunch of numbers after it. (If it helps anyone, next time my computer shuts down I could copy the code and I'll send it to someone.) One of the options it gives me to restart my computer is to shut it down manually and then while it's starting up again to press F8 and start Windows with Safe Mode. But when I do that, the second the screen comes up with my username, the computer just shuts down with the blue screen again. The only way for me to get my computer to turn back on and stay on is to choose the option on the F8 screen that says "start Windows with most recent componets (the most recent settings that worked)". When my computer starts back up for real and I'm able to get on my username, a error message pops up asking me if I want to send a error report. I sent an error report at one time just to see if it would further explain what is wrong with my computer, and the window that popped up on Internet Explorer said that they didn't know what the problem was and the only real possible thing that it could be is that I had a Stop Error. So I looked into Stop Errors and found a tutorial online on how to fix them, but I don't think that I have one because none of the things that I needed to delete if I had them where in my computer so I'm pretty sure that I'm safe from that. Also, I have Spyware and Adware blocks on my computer as well as a Firewall so I'm almost 99% sure that I wouldn't have a Stop Error anyway. So now I'm thinking that I have a problem with my BIOS like the blue screen mentioned. The only thing I really know about BIOS is that it's the software that deals with turning on and off your computer. Am I right? I don't even think I fully understand what BIOS is. :/ But anyway I just wanted to know if any of you out there know a way that I could fix this problem. It's hard to really do anything with my computer shutting down at random because when it shuts down, obviously I lose everything that I was working on if it wasn't saved. We're extremely close to just taking my computer to be fixed, but as all of you know fixing computers isn't exactly cheap even if the problem is small. But I'm not even sure extactly what the problem IS so if it's a bigger problem then getting my computer fixed will most definitely be very expensive. If it is possible to fix this problem myself I would like to be able to do that, so does anyone know of any other options I could try? Does anyone really understand what I'm talking about, or had a problem similar to this that they solved? I would really appreciate it if any of you can help me. If any extra details are needed, please feel free to message me and I'll try to explain this even further. If it helps to know, the computer I have is a Dell with Windows XP. I got it in 2003, I think. So can anyone help me? Thank you so much in advanced. <3

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Well Pink, there a number of issues that can cause a comp to turn it's self off.
From your description I think you might be experiancing a heat related issue with the CPU. If the CPU overheats it will turn off your computer. The CPU fan might be going bad. Best way to check is to open your case then turn on your computer. Whatch and see if the CPU fan is spinning. If it is spinning whatch it for awhile and make sure it doesn't stop while the computer is on. If the fan has stopped it's time to replace it.

When you open your case have a can of compressed air handy and blow out all the dust that may be built up within your case.

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

Welcome to Daniweb pinkshadow !

Well auto shutdown issues have no any actual solutions because there are many reasons that causes this error. Check the battery located in the motherboard if it down replace it.
Or can you please put the error code here so i can know better about your problem

Both of those things sound like something that could be wrong. I guess the best way to know for sure would be to bring it to a computer repair place, then.

If it helps last time my computer shut down I copied the error code it is as follows:
Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x805C607B, 0xF9FC91E8, 0xF9FC8EE4)

And thank you so much to both of you already for trying to help! :) <3

I was having the exact same problem with my emachine a few years ago. Both of the fans broke and it was over heating every 10-15min, and on reboot it came up with a similar error to yours. Try opening the side of the CPU and see if the increased air flow keeps the comp from shutting down. If it turns out you have to replace the fans i would just get a new comp. But thats just me.

Both of those things sound like something that could be wrong. I guess the best way to know for sure would be to bring it to a computer repair place, then.

If it helps last time my computer shut down I copied the error code it is as follows:
Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x805C607B, 0xF9FC91E8, 0xF9FC8EE4)

And thank you so much to both of you already for trying to help! :) <3

did you get anything else with the numbers like ,this maybe
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.if so post it ,and i certainly would not buy a new computer because of a bad cpu fan ,and i don't think that is your problem,more likely a device/driver conflict ,

I suggest you boot to the winxp cd and run R ,for repair .and do the following .
To run chkdsk...
1) Insert WinXP CD
2) Click "R" when prompted to (so you can go into recovery console)
3) Type in Chkdsk c: /f /r
4) Once completed, type in exit and remove Windows CD.

Hey Pink, If you are uncomfortable trying to diagnose and repair your computer there are other alternatives than taking it to an over hyped repair facility. Contact your local community college and see if they have a PC repair class and if they do find out the instructors name. Talk to them and see if they can help you out. Worst they can say is no, but i'll bet they will at least know of someone local and reasonable.

It may be caused due to corrupted sensors in motherboard who sends wrong temprature details to BIOS.
Another question: its a direct shutdown or proper shutdown like windows default shutdown screen ? Or your system stop responding before it happens ?

I got a similar problem 3 days ago.Win Xp shut down & I got a blue screen with an error message "An attempt was made to write to read-only memory".The error code at the end was: 0X000000BE (0X805037C8,0X00503123,0XFB01146C,0X0000000B)

Windows c'd not start normally.I had to boot in Safe Mode.I tried System Restore to various earlier days but did not work.I uninstalled a few software(licensed) that I had installed on the I first encountered the problem.But that hasn't solved the problem either.
Now, I reduced the no. of start-up programs ,disabled a few processes, etc. to reduce the load on the CPU and RAM.
I was able to start normally a few times but got the shutdown message once again.
Like with Pink Shadow, it happens sometimes after 1 hour or so,sometimes just after starting.But the difference has been that the error message has changed and now it is saying "IRQL_NOT LESS_OR_EQUAL" and the error code at the end is: 0X0000000A (0XE13A3180,0X000000FF,0X00000001,0X805459FC)
This problem affects all user accounts in my computer,Virus Scans have found no Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Adware/Malware.
Disk checks have shown no problems(my Harddisk is only about 10 months old),Hard Drive Inspector shows good HD condition.My hardware are all new( about 8 months-1 year old).The software I am using now are ones i have been using for the past few months.
I have no idea about what is causing this problem.Is this a serious fault?

I got a similar problem 3 days ago.Win Xp shut down & I got a blue screen with an error message "An attempt was made to write to read-only memory".The error code at the end was: 0X000000BE (0X805037C8,0X00503123,0XFB01146C,0X0000000B)

Windows c'd not start normally.I had to boot in Safe Mode.I tried System Restore to various earlier days but did not work.I uninstalled a few software(licensed) that I had installed on the I first encountered the problem.But that hasn't solved the problem either.
Now, I reduced the no. of start-up programs ,disabled a few processes, etc. to reduce the load on the CPU and RAM.
I was able to start normally a few times but got the shutdown message once again.
Like with Pink Shadow, it happens sometimes after 1 hour or so,sometimes just after starting.But the difference has been that the error message has changed and now it is saying "IRQL_NOT LESS_OR_EQUAL" and the error code at the end is: 0X0000000A (0XE13A3180,0X000000FF,0X00000001,0X805459FC)
This problem affects all user accounts in my computer,Virus Scans have found no Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Adware/Malware.
Disk checks have shown no problems(my Harddisk is only about 10 months old),Hard Drive Inspector shows good HD condition.My hardware are all new( about 8 months-1 year old).The software I am using now are ones i have been using for the past few months.
I have no idea about what is causing this problem.Is this a serious fault?

Welcome to Daniweb SArunSR!
This is hardware fault replace the RAM memory and then try, or check proper jumper settings of both IDE.

Replace RAM? Dont have money.Is there a cheaper way out?What, by the way is IRQL?

I had this issue with a Dell Dimension 4600 I was working on. I resolved the issue by:

1) Loading windows at the last know good configuration point.
2) Downloading the latest version of the chipset drivers and BIOS.
3) Installing the latest chipset version then flashing the BIOS.

If you are unable to load windows at all you can try downloading a bootable version of the BIOS and flashing it that way.

Good Luck

ô¿ô

What is IRQL?And I dont have enof money to replace hardware.Is there a cheaper solution?If its due to physical damage to RAM card,is it posssible to repair it without having to buy a new one?

Thank U caperjack, the links were useful.

der appears 2 B no solution 2 dis problem.Pls. help.

Yeh, the pc that I flashed the bios on started crashing again 2 days later. If you find any solutions please post.

i have the same problem too and the code written on mine is 0x0000000A

I had the EXACT same problem. I had just uninstalled Spyware Stop which i had thought was legit. but i didn't uninstal it the correct way because that never got rid of all of the files. i used unlocker to delete them and it told me to reboot because it could not delete them while windows was running which is retarded because i just uninstalled it so why should it still be running... so i booted it up again and this guys whole ordeal started with what this guy was talking about. i couldn't even log on for that long i would boot up the computer and on logon it would die blue screen of death and that whole ordeal. i had to use system restore to get it before i deleted those spyware stop files. so i got my computer back but the nuisance files are still there and running something dumb but at least i got my computer back.

Ah, the blue screen of death, an IT's biggest head ache

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.