Member Avatar for djMot

This seems to be a real thorn in some people's paw. Like mine, for instance, lol.

I cannot stream tracks in Napster. Walking through some troubleshooting steps with the nice Napster folks got us to the streaming proxy settings in WMP11 - Tools/Options/Network tab.

They wanted me to edit the protocol settings for the items in the "Streaming proxy settings" list. When I told them I had nothing in that list, they said, "well there it is! But we cannot help you because we don't know how to get protocols into the list. We do know that's the problem, though, and you'll have to talk to Microsoft about it."

Apparently, no one else knows how to get anything into that list either, or how they might go away in the first place.

If anyone has come across this issue and found the resolution, I'd be eternally grateful.

Tom

This seems to be a real thorn in some people's paw. Like mine, for instance, lol.

I cannot stream tracks in Napster. Walking through some troubleshooting steps with the nice Napster folks got us to the streaming proxy settings in WMP11 - Tools/Options/Network tab.

They wanted me to edit the protocol settings for the items in the "Streaming proxy settings" list. When I told them I had nothing in that list, they said, "well there it is! But we cannot help you because we don't know how to get protocols into the list. We do know that's the problem, though, and you'll have to talk to Microsoft about it."

Apparently, no one else knows how to get anything into that list either, or how they might go away in the first place.

If anyone has come across this issue and found the resolution, I'd be eternally grateful.

Tom

Solutions can be found in Microsoft's KB940029. That article offers a couple of solutions. I have tested them and they work for this issue.

Member Avatar for djMot

Solutions can be found in Microsoft's KB940029. That article offers a couple of solutions. I have tested them and they work for this issue.

THANK YOU!!!

The first option (regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll) returned an error. The second option seemed unlikely (a rights issue in my user folder.) But the third option...

Method 3
Delete the Wmsdkns.xml file. After you delete it, Windows Media Player will re-create the Wmsdkns.xml file.

THAT'S THE ONE, FOLKS!

I actually just renamed the file, then started Napster (not WMP) and tried to stream a song. Started right up!

Totally Appreciate the Correct Answer you have given.

Regards!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.