ok i basically have 2 different types of freezing on my comp. first my computer freezes while im playing games like ,battleships forever, elder scrolls morrowind, and stick online. when it freezes on these games the only thing i can do is move my mouse around then after a while a complete system freeze. on these system freezes i have to manually reboot the computer. weird thing is i havent experienced system freezing while playing web browser games. on the second type my comp freezes while surfing the net. however it isnt a complete system freeze, i only loose the use of my mouse and keyboard, which i have to manually reboot the computer. this web surfing freezing happens less then the game freezing. also the freezing doesnt happen at a set time it happens at random.

i really want to be able to play these games without freezing especially stick online since i do some of the spriting for that game. stick online isnt a graphics intense game, you can also see the game here http://www.stick-online.com/ to get an idea of it.

now ill tell you all the stuff i have checked so far. i have checked for viruses,spy ware,ad ware, Trojans, and found none. i have checked the temp of the internal parts both during play and before play. gotten the most upto date drivers for my sound, video, and direct x (9.0c). used pc cleaning programs like ccleaner to fix conflicts and get rid of unneeded junk.

the temps were like
cpu 78.8 f
mainboard 64.4 f
power/aux 71.6 f
harddisk 102.2 f

here are my specs if i mis something please tell me

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.1GHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 230MB used, 2229MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

vid card
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce FX 5700LE
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor Max Res: 1024,768
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9371 (English)

sound
Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Type: WDM
Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6210 (English)

also i have no money at all so i cant upgrade or buy anything else. any help would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

hi,

Can you try playing it in Safe Mode with N/W. Also try this as next step.

sorry for not knowing this but what is N/W. although i know how to put the comp into safe mode so that shouldnt be a problem. im not very tech savvy i just placed this on here hoping some one can help. also i tried taking the comp to the person that assembled it, a few days ago, and he didn't know what was wrong. i just tried the other day of reformatting my comp, or a fresh windows xp installation, but that didn't fix it. oh and i tried playing the game black and white deluxe which is about 6 years old and it too froze after about 5 mins.

p.s. thank you for your help, i really appreciate it.

N/W means Network. Also the system freeze could be due to Memory leaks from these legacy apps. Try those steps and let me know.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.