I just got xp and reformated my hard drive and installed as per instructions from my friend. Everything worked right. I shut down the computer for the night and the next morning when I started it and went to the internet as soon as I hit the connect button on the DUN the computer freezes no mouse movement and ctrl-alt-del does not work. I had to reinstall xp to get it to work. Nothing I did would fix it. If I leave my computer on then I can get to the internet with no problem but if I shut the computer off then when I go back it freezes presses the connect button. I have reinstalled xp 7 times now and have decided to leave my computer on and turn off the monitor. Any suggestions would be really appriciated.
Wayne

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

I just got xp and reformated my hard drive and installed as per instructions from my friend. Everything worked right. I shut down the computer for the night and the next morning when I started it and went to the internet as soon as I hit the connect button on the DUN the computer freezes no mouse movement and ctrl-alt-del does not work. I had to reinstall xp to get it to work. Nothing I did would fix it. If I leave my computer on then I can get to the internet with no problem but if I shut the computer off then when I go back it freezes presses the connect button. I have reinstalled xp 7 times now and have decided to leave my computer on and turn off the monitor. Any suggestions would be really appriciated.
Wayne

Use Linux.. You'll thank me later. ;)

Wow.. that sounds like a drastic measure. If the computer locks up like that, and the power button does not work - then push and hold down the power button for 10 seconds. The computer should turn off.

There is no way you should be formatting this often, in fact im sure you're overlooking something.

Use Linux.. You'll thank me later. ;)

Ther's a learning curve XP to linux!!

Wayne

try this , go to Start/ run /type in SFC /scannow ,this will fix system files .also u could try creating a new dialup connection .

Thanks guys.
I am going to try your suggestions. Is it possiable I got a bad XP CD?
Wayne

Wayne

what are your system spec
cpu
harddrive
video
etc
etc
etc

I have the following:
CPU - AMD XP 1.54 GHz
256 MB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200
20 Gig HD
C-Media onboard sound
HSP56 Micromodem

Thanks,
Wayne

you may want to conscider and alternate vid card... heres a post from the "geforce blues" thread by Dani that may offer some insight: [post=3759]AMD & NVIDIA compat issues[/post]

oh, & u may want to check out [thread=743]this thread[/thread]

I have the same problem Windows xp It feezes during dial up on cold boot when it is left on it doesn't do it. Any Answers to your problem.

Thanks

I have heard of this happening - its usually a modem conflict. Its pretty unexplainable, but usually trying a different modem will solve it.

peace

you may want to conscider and alternate vid card... heres a post from the "geforce blues" thread by Dani that may offer some insight: [post=3759]AMD & NVIDIA compat issues[/post]

It's the newer cards that exhibit the incompatibility, not the older ones like the GF2 MX series. It has to do with timing isues on the faster (newer) cards.

I have heard of this happening - its usually a modem conflict. Its pretty unexplainable, but usually trying a different modem will solve it.

Actually, it's easily explainable -- I've seen it, too. Since WinModems are entirely controlled by the CPU, the processor can get so "busy" running it that it "forgets" everything else. The optimum solution is either a hardware modem card, an external modem, or that happy medium, a modem built on the Intel HaM (hardware-assisted modem) chipset -- a decent mix of hardware and software.

Before you go changing it out, though, I would try downloading the newest drivers from the modem chipset manufacturer. You can usually get the brand information via the Modems item in the Control Panel or in the Device Manager.

I really need help. I have 2 PC's, one new laptop and one desktop. Both are playing up the same way.
I have dial up and when I connect to the internet all programs will not run for between 5 and 10 minutes. Then everything works fine. I can't understand it. Why both PC's. I'm wondering if it's because I have similiar programs on each and one of these is causing the problem. This has been going on for months. I even reformatted the desktop and it still does it.
I basically reloaded the same programs though.
I have checked the computers with all the virus scanners available on or off line and all the spy ware progs = nothing.
Has anyone else had the same problem?
The systems have XP Home (laptop) and XP Pro (Desktop) and stacks of Ram and processing power.

Thanks guys!!!
I have been away for about a month and just now read your comments. It turns out that it was the modem. I got another one and all works fine now.
Wayne

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.