Hi,
I was recently posed a question by a customer. This person has an extensive folder structure in outlook 03. She somehow lost a folder but definatley did not delete it.
It appears that she accidentally dragged and dropped the folder into another folder somewhere in her directory tree and could not find it.
I attempted to make use of the find feature but it only seams to search for files and not folders.
Also when using the "search folder" feature this actually will locate files that are in the folder and even show the file being located in the folder but in no way points to where in the directory tree the folder it "physicly" located.
Just to let you know, with time the customer was able to locate the folder herself but only but digging through every folder she had until she happened upon the one that was lost.
Sorry for all that. My question is simple. IS THERE A BETTER WAY?
I felt a little silly not being able to give by customer a better answer then to just take her time and dig for it.

Thanks in advance!
~Gabe

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I just want to give this post 1 bump to the top before I just let it go.
Does anyone have ANY suggestion for this?

Thanks
~Gabe

Member Avatar for iamthwee

This sounds like it should be a basic feature doesn't it?!

If it's not. The only other thing I could think of doing would be to copy the folder structure (.pst) and recurse through each directory looking for that name.

It might be easy since in visual studio you have the ability to access outlook api functions. I'll have a look into this...

The only other thing I could find related to this was something called "search folders" but it seems unrelated.

You can try a popular Outlook recovery tool called Advanced Outlook Repairo repair your PST file. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook PST files.

Yes we know all that because you're populating so many posts with this advert.

But will the $250 outlay solve THIS question? Yes/No?

I had the same problem.
And I found the folder finally.
There is only one way.
Install Google desktop if you don't have then after Google desktop done indexing the search for your lost folder name you will see many emails which is in that folder then and below each email it will show the full directory of the folder in outlook.

Enjoy

HBMAX

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.