Hi

I am trying to delete a folder but I get the error message:

"Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

I also cannot move, copy or cut & paste it.

I can, in the same location, create a folder with exactly the same name
(strange!) and then delete the old folder, but when I attempt to delete the new one, it has assumed the old folder's creation date, and I get the same error message.

I tried to use the save mode also cannot delete it . i used DOS to del i get the erro msg . "d:\ file not exist " but u can see the folder still there !!
In window Xp u can see it but unable to delete it .... any files copy inside this folder can deleted only the "folder" unable to delete !....
i suspect it is a dll file .....

Appreciate all friends can help me ..

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Download a software called unlocker it checks what processed are running on the file and can dive you the option to either delete the file or kill the process

thank you , but i tried oledi ,
i unable to unlock this folder and it create another new folder as i mention ..

create a folder with exactly the same name
(strange!) and then delete the old folder, but when I attempt to delete the new one, it has assumed the old folder's creation date, and I get the same error message

That is a virus call 'New PE Heur' Virus which can be detected by nod32 antivirus it creates new folder by the type is stated to be an application so i would advice you to get a hard disk that has good updated nod32 antivirus and clean your harddrive of it

yeah, i was a noobie as well, i apologize to the whole community for creating these newbie monsters

Very annoying but I had the same case a few weeks ago. I tried the longpath tool suggested in this comment. It worked great and I got it from pathtoodeep(dot)com :)

Hello, I used to haave this problem too.
I found easy to use program - path too long utility.

Windows tool to copy and delete files and folders with long paths. Just browse to the file and press a button to delete it, that’s it!
More info heere http://www.pathtoolong.com/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.