Hi,
I am connected to internet but my browser is not able to access any of the sites. All my chat clients and my outook is working fine but browser always displays "Page not found" error.
I was reading on these forums and someone suggested running the WinSockFix utility which i did and after i restarted my computer it seemed like my issue was fixed. Browser was able to connect to external sites fine. But this lasted only for couple of minutes before i started getting the same error. I reran the WinSockFix utility and after the subsequent restart computer worked fine but the same issue resurfaced back again.
Seems to me that some process is corrupiting my winsock entried. I installed RegDefend to see if any of the process was modifying winsock entries but there were no such process which was doing that.
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
S

Recommended Answers

All 46 Replies

Welcome to the site!!

When this happens make sure 'WORK OFFLINE' isnt being enabled.....

Goto the file menu and scroll down to WORK OFFLINE..

Good luck!

What Browser you use?..

Hi! I'm actually having the same problem with my browser. I use Internet Explorer and Firefox, both not working but the aside from my browsers everything else is working just fine. My yahoo messenger and stuff.

And just now when I scrolled down, I realized that this thread is like 3 years old. LOL

geez, could still use a couple of suggestions and help here.

Thanks,
Jen

It's possible that you have malware. What you'll need to do is download some anti-malware programs just to double check that your browser isn't hijacked.

And just now when I scrolled down, I realized that this thread is like 3 years old. LOL

Nothing wrong with Dates Jen :)

Have you checked to make sure "WORK OFFLINE" is not checked on your browser?? (Under FILE MENU)

Good luck and welcome to Daniweb :)

hey i use firefox n i hav da so same problem n i tried going offline mode
but den another page came sayin offline mode n it doesnt work
can someone plzz help me
tnx

I am having the same proble in both firefox and internet explorer. What is going on? This has happened quite suddenly. PC Cleaner, you suggested downloading anti-malware program... "What you'll need to do is download some anti-malware programs just to double check that your browser isn't hijacked". This sounds great in theory, but you can't download when your browser isn't working. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

This is also happening to me, on my work laptop. Both IE and Firefox. The Winsockfix helped for about 5-10 minutes. Actually everytime I reboot, my browser will work for about 10 minutes. Then it stops. Any suggestions?

Does anybody have a fix for this?

Hi,
I am connected to internet but my browser is not able to access any of the sites. All my chat clients and my outook is working fine but browser always displays "Page not found" error.
I was reading on these forums and someone suggested running the WinSockFix utility which i did and after i restarted my computer it seemed like my issue was fixed. Browser was able to connect to external sites fine. But this lasted only for couple of minutes before i started getting the same error. I reran the WinSockFix utility and after the subsequent restart computer worked fine but the same issue resurfaced back again.
Seems to me that some process is corrupiting my winsock entried. I installed RegDefend to see if any of the process was modifying winsock entries but there were no such process which was doing that.
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
S

Just follow this checklist when this happens
1. check your internet connection
2. check whether you are working offline
3. make sure the ports in your hub are connected
4. make sure that particular website is not blocking under firewall, apart from this it happens you need to check with a hardware person about the problem.

it may be worth checking your 'hosts' file I cant remember the exact name but google hosts file in windows will give info. In the hosts file there are ways of forcing the computer to think that every page it visits is 'the computer itself'! This brings up the page error problem.... it is a long time ago I had this problem and cant help more than this. be careful if you change the hosts file.
M

Just follow this checklist when this happens
1. check your internet connection--my internet connection is fine, as I can connect to instant messenger and other things outside of a browser
2. check whether you are working offline -- not working offline
3. make sure the ports in your hub are connected - everything is connected
4. make sure that particular website is not blocking under firewall, apart from this it happens you need to check with a hardware person about the problem--every website has this problem, both our intranet and the internet (google, yahoo, everything)

Any other suggestions? I have also done the Norton uninstall fix, and that is not the problem. It appears I'll have to have my machine reimaged... :(

Member Avatar for iwin

i got the same problem. i had this once earlier, that my firewal (mcafee enterprise) has blocked certain programs and i needed to make some new rules.

now, even this doesnt work.

its so amazing, since the connection breaks up after 5 to 10 minute (only browser).

my browsers was not working . it give me error messages to close
please anyone give me some solution.

Having same problem, tried resetting Winsock, IP, reinstalled WXP, two + days of troubleshooting with no results. I am using WXP with IE8 and FireFox. I am pretty sure my browsers have been hijacked by malware. Downloaded software to detect Malware, multiple items discovered but cannot get license key for Malware (yet) b/c no browser access to internet :-( Trying to get Malware developer to send license key via another computer.

Hi Dear

I saw your suggestion at the top of this forum but decided to first do all of the normal troubleshooting things, checking, changing, resetting IPs, removing the Client, TCP/IP, etc and reinstalling, going through my router, deinstalling Norton and McAffee. Ok, I should have just gone to Geek Police and ran Winsock repair.

Thanks
Regards

New here, but thought I would add some insight to what I have discoverd. Appears that there is a bug (malware) that is running under a svchost app in processes. If you care to take the time and through trial and error stop each one (some will force a restart), you will find that for a short while you can access the web.

To fix this, I used an alternative web browser (chrome, msn, or aol - not ie or firefox) and downloaded the "Malicious Software Removal Tool" from Microsoft.

It did the trick. I hope this helps.

I have the same problem - all my browsers are not working (IE, firefox and google chrome ). But my other softwares like Anti-virus and HP updates can acccess the Internet.

I am only able to post this reply using the browser embedded in Real player.

For the past 3 weeks, I have been only able to use google chrome but today all the browsers went down. Real player was my last resort.

I'm using Firefox and it's working fine. I tried to open Chrome and it won't open any pages. Then I tried IE and it won't work either. But Firefox is working perfectly the whole time. Any ideas?

Quick steps first...
Use firefox and go to download.com and get malwarebytes. Run it, see if it finds anything. If this doesn't work, then I posted earlier in this thread a potential solution. Might work. I found that there was a strange virus blocking IE and firefox but not chrome. Slightly different than your ordeal, but try this...
First the most obvious, clear history, cache, etc. If still no good, use FF and download "Malicious Software Tool Removal Tool" from MS. Run it, see what happens. Worked on several clients' pc's that I worked on. Hope this helps..... Oh yea, one last step. Try a system restore to as early as you can go without removing any recently installed software that you installed purposely. When did this start? Two days ago? GO back one week. If your system retore is not turned on, then this is a sign of my previous guess..that being the malicious tool removal. :)

press CRTL + ALT + DEL then go to task manager. under the processes tab click and close the instance of you browser. Example for internet explorer close iexplorer.exe. Hope this helps!

commented: Well it worked for you - you never came back - LOLs -4

i use google chrome.

commented: Thanks for sharing - you've been a big help :icon_rolleyes; -4

Try to configure your browser setting and check the reason why your browser is still in the offline mode.

commented: Just another dumb sig-spammer -4

GOD I wish you idiots would just shut the fuck up! It has absolutely NOTHING to do with your browser working offline! It has absolutely nothing to do with spyware or malware!

OK look I have the same problem but I also have common sense to know a few things before trying to answer it!

All browsers stop working, but my messengers and bit torrent are still working and downloading/uploading.

If I were working OFFLINE I wouldn't be able to access my messenger because the messenger works via browser connection and when your browser is working offline (I.E.) your messenger will not work. OK so stop saying its probably because your working offline.

STOP MAKING ASSUMPTIONS YOU HAVE NO IDEA OF!!!!!

Damnit! has anyone fixed this stupid as problem, after 8 hours or so my browsers stop working completely and after I reboot they work again.

and yes I'm mad bro.

Do you have McAfee? I was having this problem of the browsers suddenly unable to display webpages, even those which were bookmarked, so I knew the URL was not mistyped, but I was still connected to Internet because Outlook worked. McAfee advised me to turn off NetGuard, which is a component of its firewall, and this fixed the problem

I had a similar problem recently. While at the cabin I connect via a Roger's wireless Rocket Hub. The hub came configured to use 8.8.8.8 as both the primary and backup DNS. From the command line, when I typed

ping 8.8.8.8

I got no response. When I reset the two entries to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS) I was able to browse once again. Forgive me if I insult your level of knowledge, but for the sake of clarity (and for any noobs who might be looking for a solution), a DNS is basically a computer somewhere on the internet, that takes named addresses such as "www.google.com" and returns the actual numeric (IP) address such as 173.194.75.105. If the DNS is unavailable (as it was in my case), or your computer (or router) is not configured properly your browser will not be able to convert names to addresses.

I lost connection in firefox and IE. Had to go to internet Explorer options and re-add my broadband connection.. Not sure if it was there before.. anyway, it did solve the problem. Hope this helps

From the start menu.....All Program......Accessories, right click on the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'. Enter the command listed below seperately and hit return after each one.

ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int reset resetlog.txt
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
Now type exit and hit return. Reboot your computer and see if this has worked.

does this happen every 3 years or something lol, i went to read a book game back skype works fine , tried pinging google with no luck and browser cant locate servers, i am using tor to download malware removal.

malware did not help me! Worked on it for 2 days until I found the above solution..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.