Hi there,

I have found a couple of threads in this forum regarding this issue but
none of them contained a solution that worked for me.

I frequently get the error message "Cannot find server - webpage can not be displayed" when I try to load a webpage (any webpage).
Pressing refresh almost always fixes the issue immediately.
I am using an up-to-date antivirus software (called avira) and the
sygate personal firewall (which I have already tried to disable).

The problem occurs in both IE and Firefox. I don't use proxy settings.
My Internet connection is a broadband dsl connection with a router that also does telephone and TV stuff if that's relevant. A wireless modem is connected to it (and I access the net via this wireless connection). The connection is supposed to be set up using dynamic host
controlling but I have also tried to hard code an ip adress in the
TCP/IP settings as suggested in one of the threads here, that didn't
solve the problem either.

Other internet applications like Outlook or messengers work fine...

I'd be really greatful if someone could help me with this!

Thanks in advance...

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hi everbody,

the fact I did not get a single reply only allow for two conclusions:

1) my question was too stupid
2) my question was too tough

In case one, I apologize and humbly ask for giving me a hint (regarding both the mistake I did in my posting style and the technical question itself), in case two I'd appreciate a quick response as well, because if you guys have no idea how to sort this out I guess I'll give up as well...
In either case, thanks for your time...

I found if the problem have tens of reason, then nobody will like to answer. Your problem is not unique, which I have seen for hundred of time but still not know why.
My only suggestion is to delete all you internet temp file and have a try again.

Hey thanks for answering!
Deleting the temp files is something I tried already. I was thinking: Do you think it could have anything to do with my ISP? I know that some ISPs e.g. block mail outgoing ports, can there be a similar issue that causes the "need to refresh" thing?
I'm a little bit reluctant to contact them because it means holding the (expensive) line for eternities...

It's possible and easy to check. Borrowing a laptop and connect to internet in your place to see if problem disappear.

Another possibility is unstable DNS service which can cause random problem but not always.

Thanks, I'll follow up on that one...

Hi

I know this thread is a bit old, but I was having the same problem and I couldn't figure it out so I formatted. Turns out the problem was internet connection sharing as I was using it for my xbox 360. When I found it was that I simply switched it off and everythings normal now. Just thought I'd post and let you know!

Please accept my apologies for posting in an old thread. I had the problem described within, and looked here for a solution, however the solution turned out to be different and thought i'd add it for future visitors.

I too couldn't load web pages in IE or Firefox, but refresh almost always fixed this.

The mention of unstable DNS clued me in, and I logged into my Router settings, and accessed a page with my ADSL information such as who I connect to, password, username ect.. and within there, I could find the DNS servers of my ISP.

I then went into Network Connections, from the windows Control Panel. Choosing the properties of my LAN/Ethernet connection (i have a wired network, others may have wireless/WLAN).
Under the General tab is a list of "services" that the connection uses.

I chose Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and clicked Properties, and then the Advanced... button.

This dialog has a tab called DNS. I had my router as the only DNS server (that's been fine before), so I then added the DNS server IP addresses into this, OK'd everything, and have not had the problem since.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.