I just did a cold install of Vista on a self-built system. Didn't load any other software or drivers. Just Vista.

The problem is that I can't do a reboot. When I choose the restart option, Vista shuts down, the screen goes black, and the computer hangs. Power stays on, everything on the PC stays running, but Vista never restarts.

However, when I go into Safe Mode, and then restart, no problems.

While in regular Vista mode, I used "run: msconfig" with selective startup, but disabling startup items and system services didn't have an effect.

How can I figure out what's causing this? Is my system just not strong enough for Vista? Or is this just the typical Vista bugs everyone speaks of?

My system stats:

• AMD Sempron 3400+ Socket 754 CPU 2GHz
  • Hitachi 80GB Serial ATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G
  • Biostar NF325A7 nVidia Socket 754 Motherboard
  • Rendition 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz
  • Lite-On 16x DVD Rom DH-16D2P-08

And my Vista stats. . .

• Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit DSP OEM

I appreciate any help with this frustrating mystery!
Kelly

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I have the same problem on my self-made computer (Vista Home Premium edition). I don't know what's causing it either. So I've gotten into the habit of not using the restart option but a complete system shutdown then turn it back on after everything stops. That works ok for me most of the time, but I also have automatic Windows updates turned on and sometimes during the middle of the night it will attempt to restart my computer, but fails.

Thanks for your response. . .It's at least reassuring to know I'm not alone with this problem. I've been trying to solve it for days now and am just getting more and more frustrated.

Does your system reboot fine when in Safe Mode, as mine does?

I just tried it and it rebotted without problems in Safe Mode. My uneducated guess is that it is probably looking for some device driver -- maybe the video driver -- because in Safe Mode the video seems to be different than in normal mode. When I booted the computer the first time, after turning it off, I pressed F8 and selected "Safe Mode with Network" option. It then continued to boot ok, I used IE7 to test that the network was up and running, which it was, then rebooted. It did not have a problem displaying the normal boot menu this time.

it sounds like you might have mucked up a few jumper settings on your motherboard it is really easy to do make sure you tripple check them especaily if you built them yourself no disrespect its those bloody manuals so hard to follow. If that fails check your manufacture for bios updates and make sure all the current and correct drivers are installed for all your devices! if that dosn't work let me know!

I would have to agree with chris assuming this is a fresh install and no funky programs have been installed. Doing all the latest bios updates and making sure you have the latest chipset drivers is a good place to start. It may be a power managment issue. Also you can take a look at the logs to see if a driver or program is hanging when you attempt to shut down.

To do this click start and type in compmgmt.msc and hit enter(alternately you can select start, right click computer and select manage).

Under Computer Magement(Local) --> System Tools, expand the Event Viewer tab and then expand the Windows Logs tab. Click on Application and match any error events in the preview pane to the right with the time that you attempted to shut down the computer. If nothing suspect is found move on to "System" and check to see if anything suspect is there.

Other than that theres not much I can think of as kelly said there were other programs installed. Hope that helps

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I just found the solution a little while ago. When I installed Visual Studio 2008 it installed .NET framework 3.2 and now my computer can reboot the way it should. I tried to install something else earlier this morning and the installer said I needed to install .NET framework on my computer.

I thought Windows Vista installed .NET framework by default during installation, but apparently not.

I have the same problem on my self-made computer (Vista Home Premium edition). I don't know what's causing it either. So I've gotten into the habit of not using the restart option but a complete system shutdown then turn it back on after everything stops. That works ok for me most of the time, but I also have automatic Windows updates turned on and sometimes during the middle of the night it will attempt to restart my computer, but fails.

You need to install your motherboard drivers.

Vista dropped support for some legacy power management. In xp machines with no APM or without the drivers installed just shut down and got the "it is now safe to shut off your computer" message. They also did not reboot cleanly so XP disabled the option to do so.

i agree with Jbennet, it's a power issue, you would ahve to get the drivers for the mobo and give that atry, Happy to hear you resolve it with .NET ancient Dragon, but i still beleive its a power setting. is the MObo an ATx board?

. is the MObo an ATx board?

is that even relevant?

form fator e.g btx boards or laptop boards make no difference to vista compatibility!

Agreed with the form factor part. Also agree with the fact that this looks like an ACPI/APM issue. Tha manufacturer's site is a good option. Also, depending on the chipset (GeForce, G33 etc) you can get chipset drivers from nVidia or Intel too.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.