Hello everyone,

Someone called me, told me that they can't log on to windows xp. They forgot there password. they can't even get onto the desktop. Can anyone help me?

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

try searching the web for third party software that offers to recover lost password in xp..there's no easy way to recover lost password..or try using other log in name such as Power Users.. Backup Operators..maybe the account is turned on...

If you didn't set administrator password , press ctrl+alt+del on welcome screen then type administrator in user name filed and press enter.
but if you set admin password, use bootable disk to remove your password.

Easy way:

as soon as the pc switches on tap F8 repeatedly. A menu will come up - choose "Safe Mode" and then wait a while. Lots of text will come down the screen and the graphics will look crappy but dont worry. There will be a user called "Administrator" shown on the welcome screen in this mode. Log in as it (no password) and then delete the password on your usual user account

help want to log to XP prof, but dont have username or password

As jb posted above, if the Administrator ac has no password, then you are in..
I do hope you have permission to be using that computer. Do not know the username?!

Yes I do have permission. Its my boss laptop and he has asked me to fix it for him.
What if the administrator username was changed

not likely

Or, to expand a little on sittas's post... the Administratot remains the Administrator - this is the base admin account; I don't think it is possible to change the name from Administrator. Other admin acs are initially clones of this one.

Most motherboards manufactured over the last decade or more use a battery to sustain the dynamic Bios/CMOS settings for the motherboards PROM chip. These dynamic settings are those manually set by either the computers manufacturer or you, the user. There are two ways to erase these dynamic settings, by either resetting a jumper on the motherboard itself (referred to as a "clear CMOS" jumper), or by physically remove the power from the computer (disconnecting the power plug) and then removing a battery (used to maintain power to the PROM chip that contains the Bios/CMOS information) from the motherboard.

Listen to the previous posts telling your to check the Administrator account. It's often left open. If you cannot get in that way you have to hack in.

Irresponsible persons should stop reading here.

I use OPHcrack. It's a free tool and usually gives up Windows XP passwords in about 15 to 30 min depending on the speed of the PC. You can find OPHcrack here. Download the livecd and burn to disk, it has a bootable version on Linux on it. The website has good documentation on how to use the tool and there are even instruction videos available if you do a quick search. If you need help with the tool, post back here.

Listen to the previous posts telling your to check the Administrator account. It's often left open. If you cannot get in that way you have to hack in.

Irresponsible persons should stop reading here.

I use OPHcrack. It's a free tool and usually gives up Windows XP passwords in about 15 to 30 min depending on the speed of the PC. You can find OPHcrack here. Download the livecd and burn to disk, it has a bootable version on Linux on it. The website has good documentation on how to use the tool and there are even instruction videos available if you do a quick search. If you need help with the tool, post back here.

Ohk according to my daniweb knowledge thos type of information should not be given on this site.if im wrong im wrong,if im right...well to late good info to run away with.lol

Ok. I read the policy and I didn't see anything about posting this type of message. I'll refrain from this in the future. - Thanks

I don't have access to modify my own posts. The moderator will have to remove the information if it's inappropriate.

OPHCrack is known... but I thought it had problems with passwords over a certain length.. 12 charactrers or so? And you need a fast processor.. and a lot of RAM to get it to do it before you die. For a fast job the rainbow table download is um... big. Huge.

For a fast job the rainbow table download is um... big. Huge.

help me out here gerbil.

I have not used OPHCrack, sittas, cos I don't forget passwords but I know the pgm is based on rainbow tables, and you do it slowly with a small table and small RAM, or more quickly with a large table and large RAM. Now you can generate those tables... or dl them. I reckon that a 1/2GB dl is huge. A 1 1/2GB table is monstrous. But I don't dl movies, so...
Check out this site and play if interested. Sourceforge has a selection of rainbow tables also.
http://elliottback.com/wp/archives/2006/04/26/cracking-windows-passwords-with-ophcrack-and-rainbow-tables/

Ok Understood.Thanks buddy

Easy way:

as soon as the pc switches on tap F8 repeatedly. A menu will come up - choose "Safe Mode" and then wait a while. Lots of text will come down the screen and the graphics will look crappy but dont worry. There will be a user called "Administrator" shown on the welcome screen in this mode. Log in as it (no password) and then delete the password on your usual user account

my hero!!! i was stupid and created a password for my computer since i now have roommates...well, when i decided to finally check my e-mail, i had forgotten the password i had created. thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I'm new here... I have read your reply's hmm but, what if you do remember your password just that your account is not excepting it?

it didn't work...

Ya am here to solve your problem.You said that you have forgotten your password.I suggest you to reinstall your pc.
===========================================================arnold
asciisol

Hello everyone,

OK This is what you do SHUTDOWN the computer and Power it Up again, just at the begining start clicking F8 keep on clicking untill black screen pops up with a bunch of options use ur arrows to select SAFE MODE (safe mode is usally used to fix problems on computer with out being able to login) as soon as it logs u in it will ask you do u want to continue in restore mode click yes and u will see a desktop with most icons & programs missing. SECOUND STEP. go to control pannel open up USER ACCOUNTS (you might see a window and it will say select new picture just cancel that) anyways you got to get to the window with the user acounts. you might see a guest account (you can turn it on and off). Now u get to remove the password WITHOUT KNOWING IT =] .click the account that is blocked and then click remove password after that. restart the computer and go to the account that you unblocked again go to control pannel and click user accounts and delet the safe mode account (the name will be admestrator) and there you go you loged in i hope this helps and good luck

P.S. I acctually used this method to hack into my friends account LOL=]

Sorry for the grammer

OK This is what you do SHUTDOWN the computer and Power it Up again, just at the begining start clicking F8 keep on clicking untill black screen pops up with a bunch of options use ur arrows to select SAFE MODE....

Can you read? I said that back in Sep 15th, 2007!!!

On XP Pro it wont work because the admin password is set durning install, or is set by the domain.

According to the Microsoft support webpage it suggests you need a reset disk or if you are not the main administrator on the computer then you may need to reinstall windows, which can defintely be a pain!

As far as password key goes I have a couple friends who use it and they have yet to have any complaints about it...so it could be worth a try but until you find out if that works for sure I would put the password somewhere safe possibly in a notepad on your cellphone or on a sticky note somewhere hidden near the computer that you won't forget about. Good luck!

Spent hours trying other ways and your way worked so easy.Thanks.

Easy way:

Spent hours trying other ways and your way worked so easy.Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.