I'll be telling you a collection of tips to improve your system performance ... (it did improve my system performance to about 200 %)

1)CHANGING THE CACHE SIZE:

Go to start --> Run --> System.ini

Write these to the system.ini file
[vcache]
MaxFileCache=8192
MinFileCache=2048
ChunkSize=512

These cache settings are for power users with 128 mb of ram ... if you have more ram ... you can increase the settings to double also.

2)Right click My Computer --> Advanced --> Performance options
Select optimize performance for Applications
And change the virtual memory size to double your RAM size ... and if you need more virtual memory ... make small amount of virtual memory on different drives. One whole piece of virtual memory slows down performance.

3)Go to Control panel --> System --> Device Manager. Go to disk drives and click on your hard drive, go to properties and click the settings tab and then check the DMA box. Do this for all your hard drives. This will improve hard drive io.

4) CHANGING THE REFRESH RATE:
Right Click on desktop --> Settings --> Advanced --> Monitor
Change the refresh rate to maximum ... greater refresh rates provide with clear screen and less eyestrain.

5) INCREASING THE MODEM SPEED:
Right Click My Computer --> Properties --> Device Manager --> Ports(if you cant find you modem port .. then go directly to modem)
Go to your modem port ... click on bits per second and change it to maximum.
Click Flow control and change it to none.
In ports ... go to Advanced .... make sure use FIFO buffers is checked ... and receive and transmit buffers should be on max.

6) You can move your temporary files to your smallest and fastest drive .... this can improve io tremendously.

7) Click ‘Display’ in Control Panel. Select ‘Effects’ tab and uncheck ‘Use transition effects for menus and tooltips’

8) Click Display in Control Panel. Select Mouse ... and uncheck the mouse shadow.

These are the settings I remember now ... I'll post new ones whenever I remember....

Please do rate me on this topic.

dlh6213 commented: Looks like good advice! -- dlh +1

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

thanks for the tips nanosani :)

Is 200 % possible?

Is 200 % possible?

Try it and share your experience with us .... I shared mine :).

intresting and lot of new stuff to learn.

it works for me, but maybe you can make your instructions a little clearer next time... didnt want my windows to go back to classic theme doh..

thanks alot

I have 2 Gigs of RAM, what can I change MY settings to??

I'll be telling you a collection of tips to improve your system performance ... (it did improve my system performance to about 200 %)

1)CHANGING THE CACHE SIZE:

Go to start --> Run --> System.ini

Write these to the system.ini file
[vcache]
MaxFileCache=8192
MinFileCache=2048
ChunkSize=512

These cache settings are for power users with 128 mb of ram ... if you have more ram ... you can increase the settings to double also.

2)Right click My Computer --> Advanced --> Performance options
Select optimize performance for Applications
And change the virtual memory size to double your RAM size ... and if you need more virtual memory ... make small amount of virtual memory on different drives. One whole piece of virtual memory slows down performance.

3)Go to Control panel --> System --> Device Manager. Go to disk drives and click on your hard drive, go to properties and click the settings tab and then check the DMA box. Do this for all your hard drives. This will improve hard drive io.

4) CHANGING THE REFRESH RATE:
Right Click on desktop --> Settings --> Advanced --> Monitor
Change the refresh rate to maximum ... greater refresh rates provide with clear screen and less eyestrain.

5) INCREASING THE MODEM SPEED:
Right Click My Computer --> Properties --> Device Manager --> Ports(if you cant find you modem port .. then go directly to modem)
Go to your modem port ... click on bits per second and change it to maximum.
Click Flow control and change it to none.
In ports ... go to Advanced .... make sure use FIFO buffers is checked ... and receive and transmit buffers should be on max.

6) You can move your temporary files to your smallest and fastest drive .... this can improve io tremendously.

7) Click ‘Display’ in Control Panel. Select ‘Effects’ tab and uncheck ‘Use transition effects for menus and tooltips’

8) Click Display in Control Panel. Select Mouse ... and uncheck the mouse shadow.

These are the settings I remember now ... I'll post new ones whenever I remember....

Please do rate me on this topic.

When adjusting your Cache size it is better to use Cacheman. For this, more detailed Page File optimization info and many more Optimization tips go here:

Optimize XP - A Windows XP Optimization Guide

"Clean Spyware and Viruses + Optimize Windows XP to improve home, work and gaming performance safely. Windows XP's default configuration is far from optimized. This Free guide will help you improve your overall system performance without having to manually edit the Registry. I avoid using or recommending "all-in-one" Windows XP Tweak programs since many blindly adjust settings that have no affect on performance and can cause future problems. This guide is designed to be performed top to bottom, in sequence since some steps are required to be performed before others."

hi
nanosani, i have 128 and 256 of memory installed totally 384 MB wat are the cache settings

Cacheman is good ... I havnt tested it but it looks like fine. Use it....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.