Hi guys,

really after a bit of advice. Using at the minute a Netgear DG834 at home but need to connect to work using the Cisco VPN Client; we use a Cisco PIX Firewall at work. Turns out the DG834 wont let connect and the DG834 is the problem. i know this as never had problems connecting before switching to it and a dial-up connection lets me connect with the Client no problems.

Anyway, I want to get a new ADSL Modem/Router/Firewall in one which has IPSec Passthrough and was looking to see if someone could offer any recommendations.

Much appreciated,

Max.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_passthrough.html

I use Draytec routers (ADSL & DSL) because there is a greater degree of certainty on using a deeper set of facilities - if you know what I mean.

Anyway, the link I've provided may provide an insught to your problem (might not though) and it is yet possible that you can configure the Netgear router to deal with the advice offered by Draytec.

I also found this useful article:
http://www.craigjconsulting.com/vpnnat.html

Hi Suspishio,

thanks for that. Unfortunately what was stated in the Draytec page I had tried. I have also received a response from Netgear to say the that using the Cisco VPN Client requires Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) and the DG834 doesnt support GRE VPNs. So apart from changing things on the PIX, which i think they were saying for their post, I will have to change routers. In the even someone else has this problem I will post Netgears response on this matter:

"You are using Cisco VPN client, and as such it requires Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol 47. See below.

GRE
(Generic Routing Encapsulation) A tunneling protocol developed by Cisco that allows network layer packets to contain packets from a different protocol. It is widely used to tunnel protocols inside IP packets for virtual private networks (VPNs). For example, the point-to-point tunneling protocol (PPTP) is based on GRE, and GRE is used with IPsec to transmit routing protocol data from one router to another, which IPsec does not natively support. See tunneling protocol, PPTP and IPsec.

The NETGEAR router does not support GRE VPNs only IPSec. See below.

VPN Functionality: NAT traversal (VPN pass-through) for IPSec, PPTP and L2TP VPNs, supports up to 5 IPSec end points.

The DG8034v3 will support a Box to Box VPN setup without GRE, this may be your best option other then that the VPN sever you are connect to will have to be edited to eliminate the GRE and be configured as a IPSec VPN server only.

There are some configuration example located at the be listed link under Popular Knowledgebase Documents.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/dg834v3.asp"

My Draytek 2800VG and 2910VG support PPTP (which uses GRE Protocol 47).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.