Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and after looking through other forum posts I didn't seem to find a situation that matched the one I have.

The system was running fine until we had a power surge. The system ran quirky for a couple of days after that and then nothing would happen when I tried to turn it on. Even though it was on a surge supressor it took a hit.

A friend of mine suggested I try replacing the power supply, which I did. Much to my amazement the system booted after that. Now here's the strange part. It will only boot as long as the 2000 disk is in the cd drive. If I take it out it will not boot and I get the error message. As long as the disk is in the drive it will display the "press any key to boot from CD" message and if I leave it alone it will boot to Windows. I thought maybe there was a problem with the mbr but after formatting and reinstalling 2000 the problem remains the same.

I checked the bios and the drive is being recognized. I've tried changing the boot order to the hd first and it won't boot. I am in the process of formatting another drive to try installing 2000 on that to see if it might be a problem with the original drive.

If anyone has any ideas on what else it could be I'd greatly appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,
Kim

Hi again,

I guess the problem was with the other hard drive. The one I just formatted and installed 2000 on is working.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.