I've decided to stop using Internet Explorer as my primary browser. I would like to here any recommendations for another browser to use, both good & bad, negative & positive. The only other one I've used is Netscape so that is my first choice unless someone has a better option or knows of some reasons not to use it.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Why is Mozilla the best? Does anyone have any negative comments about Mozilla?

The word "best" is always subjective, especially when it relates to
"which is the best operating system/computer/program/etc."-types of questions. The answer is that there is no definitive best program. Different users will have had different experiences with the browsers we've mentioned, and will base their recommendations on those experiences.

The browsers we've suggested are all free to download, so try them all and see which one you like the best. Also keep in mind that these browsers evolve and improve over time, so what might have been considered the "best" browser 6 months ago might not be considered to be so today.

I've heard Opera has problems with java scripts, do you know if this is true or not?

I haven't heard that, but Opera places a banner ad on it's free version, so Mozilla has to be the best! ;)

I do actually use Opera for testing purposes (being a web developer) as it has all manner of special tools for viewing sites without stylesheets, emulating a text browser, emulating small screen formats etc. But I use Firefox for my everyday forum browsing.

Thanks, I guess I'll give that a try and see how it goes.

Thanks, I guess I'll give that a try and see how it goes.

Hi dlh6213. One year ago you decided to give the browser, Opera, a try. If you did I would love to hear your comments. Do you fel it is a good second browser to have?

Actually, I decided to try Firefox :)

And I can say that I'm satisfied enough with it that I haven't tried any others and I use it most of the time now.

For me, it's not faster as others have claimed, it's actually a bit slower if anything. But I get far fewer popups.

Both Firefox and IE have their advantages and disadvantages, so I can't really say one is better then the other based purely on 'feel.' But for safer browsing, Firefox is the better choice of the two, in my opinion.

Hi dlh6213, I have tried Firefox too and I really didn't like it at all. But we all have our different needs and this is reflected in the browsers we choose. In my case I need the flexibility of IE for the website design work I do for one thing. I found Firefox was not giving me a true picture of what was really there especially in the tables where I had deliberately left the borders visible. I agree with you, it is slower especially in loading images. I had to sit and wait even when they were from my own directories.

I have my own forums also and I do a lot of editing in there of short stories and other and I found Firefox to be a hopeless and infuriating tool to use with my board's standard font which is not unlike that which is appearing here as I type. For instance, the cursor that you would place in the center of a word prior to deleting a letter is way too thick, and it actually obscures the letters. I can't for the life of me understand why they do that; perhaps someone who is short-sighted requested a bolder, thicker cursor.

I went ahead and downloaded Opera after reading an awful lot about it but it is still sitting in "My Downloads" waiting for me to cut it loose. I haven't had the time to play with it yet, perhaps this evening.

Thank you for your response, I sure hope Firefox works for you.

EDIT: It is generally agreed on among those of us who keep an eye on, and report on, software security vulnerabilities that Firefox now has as many if not more than does IE, and that the "greater security" aspect of any decision making should be dropped. And for others who may be reading here, I totally refuse to be drawn into an argument on this because Firefox's following has now grown into something resembling a cult, and there is no middle ground with cult members. ;)

Well, you're the one that keeps posting ;)
j/k
It's not a cult. I use Firefox as my main browser, but only because all my bookmarks are there and I like the ability to monitor which passwords it keeps, and which ones it doesn't. Mozilla offers more control over your browsing than IE.

As has been previously mentioned, it also generates less popups, is less prone to annoying javascripts, and you can have your main bookmarks onscreen without making the browser window narrower.

But I'm not a cult member. I use IE regularly for website testing, and for websites that don't work in Moz. I use Opera occasionally for small screen testing. Mozilla is great, but there's nothing that can touch IE for first time loading. Being a web developer I find it is imperative to test in all browsers, because I want my sites to be amongst the best out there. Period. I don't want my sites, that represent me, looking like something the cat threw up.

So yes, I use firefox and prefer it because of it's options. But I'm perfectly happy to use any browser out there. Firefox users vary from the fanatics to the casual users, and that's a spectrum matched in IE...

So yes, I use firefox and prefer it because of it's options. But I'm perfectly happy to use any browser out there. Firefox users vary from the fanatics to the casual users, and that's a spectrum matched in IE...

Hi there DaveSW. Great post, and I'm glad you're not one of those people who give me a twitch. Did you know hula hoops are trying to get back in? :D

ie is the most common and therefore the easiest to use out of the lot.

ie is the most common and therefore the easiest to use out of the lot.

S i too agree with u IE is the best browser compare to others

I use Opera ... its a good browser ... faster than IE and Mozilla. Recommended for dialup users...

S i too agree with u IE is the best browser compare to others

Yes it is, and getting even more so.

I use Opera ... its a good browser ... faster than IE and Mozilla. Recommended for dialup users...

I have Opera as a spare wheel but haven't had to use it yet. I am on dialup by choice and find IE is perfect for all my needs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.