I am on a small network. I can access all the shares I am supposed to be able to access.

If i enter the server name in a run box, like '\\tcrtsrvl1' then I get the list of shares like normal.

Me and all the servers are in the same workgroup.

If I click on the workgroup under 'Microsoft Windows Network' I get the following error message.

Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network name cannot be found.

Yet I can still access all the computers in the workgroup, by dirrectly going to them, but can not list the computers in the workgroup.

(If anyone is wondering why it matters -- it's because I am trying to select folders to backup on the servers, and the program I am using, is forcing me to select from the 'tree' as opposed to letting me type in a path (oh - and it wont work with mapped drives, I HAVE to select the UNC path from the 'tree'))

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Thanks. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.