I just put a differernt HDD in my computer and the hard drive is not found. Everything I read said to make sure the BIOS is set to autodetect but that is where I get stuck. I looked a bunch of screen shots to make sure i was in BIOS but most of the screen shots i have seen have a blue background and have different menues. The background on my computer is black with like a teal text. And no where in there can i find an option for detecting the HDD. all it says is that the HDD is listed as "none". why does my screen (black with teal text) look different from all the other ones (blue background with different menues) and how can i make the computer autodetect the HDD.

Info: It is a completely blank hard drive that i put in im guessing. im tryin to format windows but it wont let me get that far because "primary hard disk drive 0 not found"

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Info: It is a completely blank hard drive that i put in im guessing. im tryin to format windows but it wont let me get that far because "primary hard disk drive 0 not found"

To the best of my knowledge todays bios 's will auto detect with out changing any settings ,check the ribbon caple and the setting of the master /slave jumpers on the drive
also if the drive is new and empty then it may not be formatted .most hdd manufactors have software utility to setup a new hdd,just search there web site ,you would download the program and copy it to a floppy or cdrom and boot computer to the disk to run the utility .
excample Maxtor ,has MaxBlast '

most bios have a F3 key to detect hdd. if u are not able to detech the hdd that way, u definately want to check the cable as caperjack stated. ensure the cable is oriented correctly, and the jumber is correct on the hdd.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.