I have windows XP on about a 2 year old computer, i left it on for about 6 hours then shut it down , the next day i tried to start it up and now im getting a black screen with blinking white thing in the top left corner (I don't really know how to describe it other than its like the blinking line that shows you where you type any text), i can get the boot screen when i hit delete, but it won't load the windows after.. im not that great with computers, so any suggestions would be helpful, thanks
-matt

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Hello Matt.

Do you have the original win XP disk. Because it sounds like one of your files may have gotten corrupt during the shutdown process. If you have the win XP disk it would be easy.

Best Regards
Tech TJ

First thing i would try is to unplug power cord ,hold power on button in for about 30 seconds.then plug it back into power outlet and try turning it on again .
if nothing happens,I would then try to reset the Bios to default settings .
those are the 2 things i would do first if it were my computer ,others may do different!

yes, that blinking cursor geneally indicates a corrupt/dead hard disk or filesystem

yes, that blinking cursor geneally indicates a corrupt/dead hard disk or filesystem

not saying it isn't ,but that usually comes with a missing hdd drive or operating system,error message ,i say usually

If it isnt there at all you usually get:

Non System disk or disk error

if its corrupted you usually get something wierd like what the user is experiencing (i have had the exact thing with GRUB getting corrupted)

Well thanks guy I'm going to go check that out

if it is corruption you can (maybe) fix it using your windows cd

hai
from u r scrap i can understand that u had winxp for a long time,i think the blank black screen with a small underscore symbol blinking is of system loading .from that i think some error had occeared in loding files and some error in system 32 so the besr way is to reinstall win xp again which reinstalls all error files in to proper way
tanku

start xp cd

firstly hit R when it says about the recovery console (in the blue screen section, read carefully)

then login to your xp using recovery console

type help to see a list of commands. I cant remember what it is to install the bootloader again but i think its fixboot. better check.

if that doesnt work then you can do a repair reinstall. This will keep your stuff but you will need to reinstall any hotfixes etc...

My computer does the same thing, it display Viao, flashes the pentium sceen and then sits on this black screen of death for 2 minutes and 40 seconds before starting windows. Is something wrong? what should i do?

remove any cds, floppy disks and usb devices (apart from the ones you really need, like a keyboard/mouse) from the drive and seee if its faster

Hay Matt,
I think your Windows Boot Sector is crash, so
Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

You have to oress R and windows will repair the
Boot sector.

Good Luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.