HI all,
Oops - My win98se/2kPro dual system at home was running fine (service packed and updated to the hilt) until I installed a new graphics card (Radeon 9600 128MB) - now -
Win2k - no problem - all working
Win98Se - NOT happy.

So - anyone know if I can reinstall win98 without destroying my win 2k install?

I know I can replace the boot.ini and ntldr files after re-installing win98, but is this enough? I haven't used any third-party dual-booting software, so I know (well, believe anyway) that my MBR should be OK (am I right this just tells the BIOS what partitions exist and where?)

I've worked pretty hard getting win2k to work well, and really dont want to put it at risk.

Thanks

PS - sorry I've been absent so long - gonna try to be a lil useful round here now I know some more stuff.

PPS - Dani - love the new look site.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

In Windows 98:

In Display properties Uninstall the display adaptor from device manager.
Reboot, cancel out of any hardware detection stuff, and then install Catalyst drivers for your Radeon card.

Sorry - maybe I should have mentioned - already tried that - and a whole bunch of other stuff into the bargain. Radeon Catalyst drivers will now no longer either uninstall or re-install due to a crash which occurred mid-uninstall. I'm having to sit through a whole bunch of "the file ######.vxd is refferred to in the registry or in system.ini but cannot be found" type messages.

When I say win98 is messed up I mean MESSED up - hence the desire to re-install it.

I am presently suffering multiple failures in...
msgserv32.exe
catawbsound.exe ???
various other programs at random
and most puzzling of all, a program which task manager refuses to name at all...

But thanks anyway catweazle....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.