System: Windows XP. with service pack 2
Computer: Compaq presario x1000
recently installed & used software: Spy Assasin
Recently run anti virus: northon (on HD) & Trend micro on line

Hi
Starting 2 days ago i noticed that when I click on links that appear on web pages nothing happens except my machine starts a period of active thinking and then suddely jolts back to exactly the same spot I started from. I have tried cleicking on links to other pages, to audio sources (such as radio) and MPEg etc. No can do. I think it may have started when I ran spy assasin, But I am not sure. I have tried everything, ran a bunch of anti virus. found a bunch of Netsky within my temp internet files. wiped them out (deleted using trent micro on line).
I am now desperate. any suggestions?
Thank you so much
Pirooz

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Spy Assassin may be your problem, afaik it's not reliable. Uninstall it and then try one of the known good tools like Adaware from Lavasoft or Pest Patrol.

Spy Assassin may be your problem, afaik it's not reliable. Uninstall it and then try one of the known good tools like Adaware from Lavasoft or Pest Patrol.

Hi Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. I had thought spy assasin was from adaware? In fact I went to that site to download it. could it be that I got switched?
Anyway I will follow you good advise. However, for my own knowledge and better understanding, how could a spyware product, as inefficient as it might be cause so much grief? and it has done it only n this machine even though I have it installed on two more.
Thanks again
regards
pirooz

Hi
Thank you so very much as well for taking the time to reply. I feel like a fool having been swindeled by spyassasin like this. I am much obliged to you for pointing it out.
However, i am not sure HOW if at all will running Ad Aware fix the qyandary I am in (cant open links by clicking on them; have to copy and paste them onto the address bar and hit enter to surf to the spot). Should I Download Ad Aware and run it or as i suspect it is too late for any help and I will have to end up restoring my machine?
Thanks so much again
sincerely
pirooz

Thank you very much. having downloaded ad aware the problem was eliminated. Thank you for your insight and advise.
sincerely
pirooz pakdel

I don't get it, what's the dif between the 2 programs? Call me blonde :o

...I feel like a fool having been swindeled by spyassasin like this...

I know the feeling, I got duped into buying xoftspy before I found out about SpywareWarrior; it's a good site to have in your favorites list so you can check if you ever wonder if something is legit.

Here's another bit of info on spyassasin:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/family_resemblances.htm#10

I know the feeling, I got duped into buying xoftspy before I found out about SpywareWarrior; it's a good site to have in your favorites list so you can check if you ever wonder if something is legit.

Here's another bit of info on spyassasin:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/family_resemblances.htm#10

Duped? How could you say you were duped? I downloaded SpyAssassin too, thinking it was something else, but I willingly paid for it, and it did a good job on my system. No hard feelings here, even installed it on my wife's computer

Duped? How could you say you were duped? I downloaded SpyAssassin too, thinking it was something else, but I willingly paid for it, and it did a good job on my system.

That's one of the problems with some of these programs- there's no need to pay for such a product, as the free alternatives do as good a job, if not better.

That's one of the problems with some of these programs- there's no need to pay for such a product, as the free alternatives do as good a job, if not better.

Everyone is allowed to their own opinion, like I say, with free things you get what you pay for.

Everyone is allowed to their own opinion, like I say, with free things you get what you pay for.

You seem to be implying that free anti-malware porgrams aren't any good, and that simply is not true. Some of the best and most recommended software is free. The links in DMR's signature are a few examples of this; these programs are all free and come highly recommended by anyone who rates or uses them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.