Just recently I noticed that my internet explorer was running VERY SLOW. It's not the speed that websites load but it's the speed that I try to browse them at. When I scroll down it takes AGES for the display to update and can take up to 15seconds or more to highlight just a single word!

When I hover over links that change colour it can take a LONG time to change colour. I have never had this trouble before and it has always ran very smoothly...

I'm running Windows ME (sigh) on a 1ghz Celeron (sigh) with 384MB SD RAM (another sigh)...

Please help! My browsing experience is going DOWN HILL!!!!

EDIT: One other thing I noticed: When I go to view, toolbars there is this strange one at the bottom called: aqeetrrstmc ?!?! What the hell is this?

And also when I shutdown my computer and reboot the default home page goes to a new address and it has about:blank on the end (about:blank is what I had set before).

And also when I type in a wrong URL, instead of going to the usual MSN Search it has changed and goes to Quicksearch.com...!

I think that's it!

Recommended Answers

All 100 Replies

Thanks for the reply!

I scanned for the spyware but the only think I found was a SaveNow registry entry which I of course removed. But it didn't change anything :(

It still runs slow and I don't know what the problem is!

If you can think of anything else I would be grateful.

check in the control panel ,add/remove programs for save now and any other strange looking programs,also have you ran a virus scan.this free version of AGV ,works great .
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

It still runs slow and I don't know what the problem is!

Download and extract the free utility PrcView from http://www.teamcti.com/pview/prcview.htm

This utility is excellent for looking at what processes are running on your system. It will show you not only processes but threads that the Task Manager often hides from you, including spyware. It also can give you details on each task and kill them, if you so wish.

Installation doesn't modify the Windows Registry, so you simply extract it to wherever you want. I find it so useful that I put a shortcut to it in my Startup folder; I run it with Windows.

Try running it and let us know what's running.

Thanks again for the replys.

I went through my add/remove programs and removed a few programs which were junk, one of which screwed up the start up and I got an error but the reboot after that cleared it up.

Thanks for the PrcView tip there were quite a few processes running but nothing that seemed out of the ordinary. Here is the list anyway:

DDHELP.EXE	4294601453	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE	Microsoft DirectX Helper 4.09.00.0900.  Copyright  Microsoft Corp. 1994-2002
DSLAGENT.EXE	4294658861	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DSLAGENT.EXE	DSLAGENT.EXE
EXPLORER.EXE	4294746789	C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE	Windows Explorer 5.50.4134.100.  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-2000
GSICON.EXE	4294678569	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\GSICON.EXE	DSL Modem Monitor 3.1.1.  Copyright  2001 GlobespanVirata, Inc.
KERNEL32.DLL	4287583597	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL	Win32 Kernel core component 4.90.3000.  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1991-2000
LOADQM.EXE	4294686081	C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE	Microsoft QMgr 5.4.1103.3.  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-1999
MMTASK	4294706397	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk	Multimedia background task support module 4.90.3000.  Copyright  Microsoft Corp. 1991-2000
MPREXE.EXE	4294967089	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE	WIN32 Network Interface Service Process 4.90.3000.  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1993-2000
MSGPLUS.EXE	4294859381	C:\MY DOCUMENTS\MATTHEW'S FILES\MSNPLUS\MSGPLUS.EXE	Messenger Plus! 2, 20, 0, 52.  Copyright (C) 2001-2003
MSGSRV32	4294938809	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE	Windows 32-bit VxD Message Server 4.90.3000.  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1992-1998
MSTASK.EXE	4294953085	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE	Task Scheduler Engine 4.71.2721.1.  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 2000
NAVAPW32.EXE	4294542029	C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVAPW32.EXE	Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Agent 6.0.0.21.  Copyright (C) Symantec Corporation 1991-1999
PRCVIEW.EXE	4294404725	C:\MY DOCUMENTS\MATTHEW'S FILES\PROCESS VIEWER\PRCVIEW\PRCVIEW.EXE	Process Viewer Application 3.7.3.1.  Developed by Igor Nys, 1995-2003
REALSCHED.EXE	4294696553	C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE	RealNetworks Scheduler 0.1.0.1599.  Copyright  RealNetworks, Inc. 1995-2002
RNAAPP.EXE	4294627945	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE	Dial-Up Networking Application 4.90.3000.  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1992-1996
SAGENT2.EXE	4294866989	C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\EPSON\EBAPI\SAGENT2.EXE	EPSON Printer Status Agent 1, 0, 0, 0.  Copyright (C) SEIKO EPSON CORP. 2000-2001
SPOOL32.EXE	4294940817	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE	Spooler Sub System Process 4.90.3000.  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1994 - 1998
STIMON.EXE	4294762809	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE	Still Image Devices Monitor 4.90.3000.1.  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-2000
STMGR.EXE	4294732781	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE	Microsoft (R) PC State Manager 4.90.0.2533.  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-2000
SYSTRAY.EXE	4294645509	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE	System Tray Applet 4.90.3000.  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1993-2000
TAPISRV.EXE	4294730909	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE	Microsoft Windows(TM) Telephony Server 4.90.3000.  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1994-1998
TASKMON.EXE	4294523801	C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE	Task Monitor 4.90.3000.  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1998
VSMON.EXE	4294855701	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE	TrueVector Service 2.6.84.  Copyright  2001, Zone Labs Inc.
WMIEXE.EXE	4294680229	C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE	WMI service exe housing 4.90.2452.1.  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-1999
ZAPRO.EXE	4294519189	C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZAPRO.EXE	ZoneAlarm Pro 2.6.84.  Copyright  2001, Zone Labs Inc.
ZM32.EXE	4294957381	C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZIPMAGIC\ZM32.EXE	ZipMagic 4.0 4,0,0,32.  Copyright  1997-2000 Ontrack Data International

It's still running slow though! And I have no idea what is wrong. The strange toolbar option is still there but one thing that has stopped is the random start up page. It stays to what I set it now :)

Thanks again for the help.

More suggestions are welcome!

try disabling you norton antivirus auto protection ,there are a few things running there that don't need to be ,like Windows messanger ,loadqm.exe ,task schedular,real updater ,the epson printer ,tapisrv.exe ,
zone alarm is good but rescorce hog.

Yeah they can be disabled, but even if I do it still runs badly and I have had more programs running than that before and it has been fine.

I really don't have a clue what is wrong with it! :(

I am having the exact same problem. Does anyone know how to fix it???

I'm also having this problem. I have a feeling that it is some sort of virus. Previously, there was one virus that my virus scan program had locked into quarantine. Now when I scan, there isn't anything coming up.

I doubt very much that it has anything to do with spyware or clogged resources, as everything ran fine a couple weeks ago. Opera still runs *fine*, (locks up the first time I access a yahoo site. Is fine the second.).

Ad Aware will fix slow running Internet Explorer.

I had the same problem. Internet Explorer was slow to scroll webpages and very slow to display typed information such as typing into the ebay search box.

I found my browser homepage sometimes changed also, so I knew a browser hijacking program had been installed on my hard drive.

I went to www.lavasoftusa.com and downloaded the free version of their "Ad Aware" program, installed and ran it, and it found and identified the malware files which had been added to my system registry, and on my hard drive.

After Ad Aware quarantined these files, I restarted my computer and ran another scan and found nothing.

Then I tested Internet Explorer and it runs perfectly again. PC-World magazine has given this program "best product" award and it deserves it.

Hope this helps.

I have the exact same issues with my IE.
I have downloaded and run:
Ad-Aware
Spy-Bot
Purge IE

as well as uninstalling any unfamiliar software, and registry keys. I've also looked at the processes running and nothing is unfamiliar there.
I've uninstalled IE 6 to 5, run the "repair" and re-installed 6 with Service Pack.

Still running slow!

I have noticed that it runs the slowest on my company's intranet page which has alot of DHTML and JS, plus formfields. It does fine with pages that do not have any form fields or JS/DHTML, but it bogs and maxes out my processor on everything else.
I can almost max out my processor (90-95%) by even moving my mouse around on a page (even avoiding rollovers).

I am completely confounded. Can anyone offer any advide other than what I've tried?
Thank you.

I have the exact same issues with my IE.
I have downloaded and run:
Ad-Aware
Spy-Bot
Purge IE

as well as uninstalling any unfamiliar software, and registry keys. I've also looked at the processes running and nothing is unfamiliar there.
I've uninstalled IE 6 to 5, run the "repair" and re-installed 6 with Service Pack.

Still running slow!

I have noticed that it runs the slowest on my company's intranet page which has alot of DHTML and JS, plus formfields. It does fine with pages that do not have any form fields or JS/DHTML, but it bogs and maxes out my processor on everything else.
I can almost max out my processor (90-95%) by even moving my mouse around on a page (even avoiding rollovers).

I am completely confounded. Can anyone offer any advide other than what I've tried?
Thank you.

Have you tried disabling your antivirus program while you surf

you have things running at start up, download this and Ill tell you which ones to take off start up its called starter
http://www.webattack.com/downloadfind.php?st=starter&search=Search&action=s

You just have to many services running com back after you get this and then I help you with your services and are you using the mozilla browser now I use this and I never get any of the problems like everyone else is getting lately man this IE stuff is getting to be a real Joke thats why very few use it

hello there
the internet lag you are experiancing is probrably not because of adware but because aof a virus. the virus is probrably 32 welchia or something simular. if your virus software has not detected it it has probrably not been updated in a while for it is a relitively new virus. symantec offers a removal tool on its website that you can download and delete it:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.welchia.worm.removal.tool.html
i hope this helps you
cheers

man this IE stuff is getting to be a real Joke thats why very few use it

I disagree. Most Windows users use IE. I am a Windows power user and I still use IE over Mozilla or Opera. (Although Opera is very nice in its own right.) I won't touch IE for the Mac though.

I disagree. Most Windows users use IE. I am a Windows power user and I still use IE over Mozilla or Opera. (Although Opera is very nice in its own right.) I won't touch IE for the Mac though.

If you notice all the people with Internet problems lately are the ones using IE,just my point of view though (Strictly hearsay) and(I stand corrected) your right most windows users probably use IE thats only because they're not educated about other stable browsers The only benefit IE has is windows update built into the tool bar lol...lol...lol...lol

now I want a mac

Predicably, I must disagree. IE works fine here and is pretty stable.

Perhaps my Euro-trash-y computer and the trashy IE are cancelling the trashiness of each other out? :rolleyes:

I have no virus detection software, but have used Housecall and its found nothing.

I work at a web development company and have to design for IE 5 or higher as per our contracts, so using a different browser isn't really an option.

I downloaded and used "Starter" and it tells me I've got the following running:

BrowserWebCheck-loadwc.exe

HpMmKbd-C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Extende Keyboard\HpMmKbd.exe

Microsoft Office.lnk-C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.exe

QuickTime Task-C:\WINNT\System32\qtask.exe -atboottime

SchedulingAgent-mstinit.exe /logon

System Service-C:\WINNT\System32\msrexe.exe

SystemTray-SysTray.exe

Tweak UI-RUNDL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUP

I recognize a couple of these. Do you really think one of these is screwing with just my IE browser? All of my other programs (including NS 7.0) are running fine, it's just IE 6 that maxes out my processor and bogs my machine.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate any help.

I have no virus detection software, but have used Housecall and its found nothing.

I recognize a couple of these. Do you really think one of these is screwing with just my IE browser? All of my other programs (including NS 7.0) are running fine, it's just IE 6 that maxes out my processor and bogs my machine.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate any help.

1 you have to get a AV running
2 while your in starter hit the tab that says START UP'S
3 post these or just pick and choose what you want to have starting on boot the more you have started the more processes you will have running which means the slower you will run
4 I wouldnt be suprised if you had a trojan on your system

I have to give out this thread because Im about to buy some video Professors Here are the downloads [post=6574]CLICK HERE[/post]

You need to do some spring cleaning for sure
Hope this helps

hi there.
My name is Mark, im a computer technician from Israel.

This problem has nothing to do with spyware nor with viruses or trojan horses.

Also, it has nothing to do with tasks.

This problem is caused when Internet Explorer uses a predefined style sheet and tries to force all pages to load according to this style sheet.

Here is the solution:
Go here:
tools-->internet options-->general tab-->accessibility-->
user style sheet-->format documents using my style sheet and uncheck the box. that's all.

Sincerely yours,

Mark.
mark76@softhome.net ; mark_2002@softhome.net
icq # 59447272

Really well that should sum up about all 50 Billion IE users problems great post

Hey there Mark! Thanks for your information. Are you sure this is the case though? Usually stylesheet affect the look of the page, itself, not the default search engine for the browser, etc. It seems to me that it's more like some adware that customized the IE browser.

I downloaded and used "Starter" and it tells me I've got the following running:

Microsoft Office.lnk-C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.exe

QuickTime Task-C:\WINNT\System32\qtask.exe -atboottime

These two can be safely killed. They are both useless wastes of resources. A good tool to do this with is xteq x-setup http://www.xteq.com/products/xset

If you run Windows, you absolutely must run an anti-virus program! Avoid Norton and McAfee--the first is a resource hog and the second has too much baggage. My absolute favorite is Grisoft AVG http://www.Grisoft.com, but there are other good ones, including Panda, AVAST, and FreeAV.

One caution: some of the above programs are specified as free for personal use. Since you would be using them in a commercial environment, any use of the free versions would be for evaluation purposes only, but you should be able to check them out, at least. IANAL...

In general, the best list of startup programs is at http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm
and the best list of malware and hijackers I have found is at http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

These two can be safely killed. They are both useless wastes of resources. A good tool to do this with is xteq x-setup http://www.xteq.com/products/xset

I HA+E +o 5TE4l yOuR tHunDeR rI9H+ OU+ FROM Und3R u BU7 +h4t5 wH@7 TH3 5t4r+Er +o0L d035 g0Od [ink Th0uGh

An important follow up. After I used Ad Aware to fix my slow Internet Explorer problem, the problem came back. The trouble was more extensive, so I did some more spyware research. I learned I had been attacked by a spyware entity called CoolWeb and that I needed to download a program called cwshredder.exe from the following website http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html. There is a terrific individual there named Merijn who has developed the CoolWeb Shredder program and makes it available free. This program appears to be the only way to defeat and remove the insidious CoolWeb spyware. Broader spectrum spybot detection programs, like Ad Aware, don't get it all, and anti-virus programs don't even know the spyware is present on your system. After I ran the cwshredder.exe program on my PC, all traces of the CoolWeb spyware were identified and permanently destroyed, and the system has remained stable with Internet Explorer running fine. This thread is turning up on metacrawler when I search "internet explorer slow" so I hope more than a few people might be helped. Good luck.

THANK YOU!!!
THANK YOU!!!
THANK YOU!!!

Thanks to all for your profound insight.

I found the stylesheet box that was checked (thanks - Mark), unchecked it, and then ran that CoolWeb Shredder program (thanks-Dave987),which had that same stylesheet checkbox under its list of fixes as well, and everything is cool now.

This means I can work on my own machine again and again be an effecient developer.

I hope you folks that helped me know how much I appreciate it.
Life is once again good.

Really well that should sum up about all 50 Billion IE users problems great post

That was a good one ben.

check in the control panel ,add/remove programs for save now and any other strange looking programs,also have you ran a virus scan.this free version of AGV ,works great .
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Thankx a lot for this Caperjack.I just ran this and found the nachi and nimda worm infecting about 200 files in my drives.Phew!
Nachi.worm is interesting it doesn't seem to do anything harmful but killing the lovesam.worm!
I guess they are reallly old I found nimda in my d drive winxp folders where I kept it as a backup(though I can't run xp setup from dos)..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.