ty 4 the fix link, it took me ages to find a thread on this problem

I already had cwshredder on my machine from an earlier infection, and for a few days Ive been having this same problem, but there were not the normal symptoms (the ones I had last time that is) I only had the ie slowdown. I did find 2 things on my c drive, clearsearch and "second thought" that kept reinstalling each time I removed them with ad aware and manually- last time I checked I realized they were in my recycle bin, and they had me locked out, no access to the files, so I couldnt get rid of them. I saw this post and tried cwshredder just out of curiousity and it sure enough found a bunch of stuff, and the files were deletable after I ran it. This has been very irritating...

But I'm glad it happened because I found this site (this is where I learned about the cws in the first place) and I'll be here everyday from now on... this is my first post, hello folks:)

I was having the same problems with IE being slow. I downloaded the ad aware thingy and it found 57 items on the first scan! I quickly deleted them all and now IE is fast again!!! Also, I play online multiplayer games quite a bit, and since I did the scan I've noticed that my ping has dropped nearly 100ms.

Excellent program!!
Thank you very much.

I'm having big problems with IE lately..

I've run several spyware programs, including AdAware 6, Spybot search and destroy, Pestpatrol and Spysweeper.

Several spyware programs were found (eg. Lop.com) but they've been removed.. I've restarted my PC and am still experiencing problems but, still very slow..

In task manager, IEXPLORE.EXE mem usage is 16,360 K (one window open - this one..)

It doesn't usually run like this but there is definitely a significant decrease in the usual speed that IE runs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this, apart from:

Ad-aware
Spybot search and destroy
Pestpatrol
Spysweeper

All these have found stuff, but its all now quarantined/deleted

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks

Yeah did you look at all the problems IE has.Take note of how crappy IE is though in similar threads you will see some people suggest a WORM...or a...TROJAN you will get the links on how to fix them.
You also might want to take a trip over to www.BlackViper.com and look at the XP services and choose which "RESOURCE HOGGS" you want to disable.

Not forgot to run the spywareblaster after immunising in spybot??? (update!)

Me Stupid!!:( I installed firebird a few weeks ago ,I installed the email program ,how do i axcess the email program from within firebird !:)

Window -> Mail & Newsgroups

never mind its a stand alone email program !!:(

In IE6 I can axcess outlook right from the top toolbar ,and if i can be serious about using firebird (i do loke the speed of firebird)i will need to be able to open mail from the top toolbar

Window -> Mail & Newsgroups

Waht do you mean when you say Window----

After some other problem's that caperjack sorted for me I too experienced a slow/jerky IE especially on ebay. I have done the suggested things and hey presto! the browser appears to be 'normal' - thanks a million to you all !

I get this problem off fresh installs of operating system. Installing the appropriate drivers for your video card should fix the problem.

i've tried all your solution but nothing help me, until i remove a program call hummingbird from my system.

I'm running windows 2000 server and IE6. Hopefully this will help someone.

Please Download hijackthis from

http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

After the scan has finished the "scan" button will turn into a "save log" button

save the log file and paste it here

Do not delete anything yet, as most things hijackthis finds are harmless and needed.

steam

hi there.
My name is Mark, im a computer technician from Israel.

This problem has nothing to do with spyware nor with viruses or trojan horses.

Also, it has nothing to do with tasks.

This problem is caused when Internet Explorer uses a predefined style sheet and tries to force all pages to load according to this style sheet.

Here is the solution:
Go here:
tools-->internet options-->general tab-->accessibility-->
user style sheet-->format documents using my style sheet and uncheck the box. that's all.

Sincerely yours,

Mark.
mark76@softhome.net ; mark_2002@softhome.net
icq # 59447272

I just tried out this and it works wonderful!!!
Thanks for making my day.

I just tried out this and it works wonderful!!!
Thanks for making my day.

I just tried it too, but when I select Tools> Internet Options- there is an immediate pop up box titled "Restrictions" that says: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

I'm an end user with Windows 98. What the heck??? I wonder how this restriction got there, and I'd sure like to know how to get rid of it!

Thanks!

G.

HI

Easiest way.....download Hijackthis and fix any 06 entries

steam

I have been having the same type of problem and accidentally discovered a fix (for my situation). I installed Dragon Naturally Speaking 7.0 and visited their website which described a problem with Internet Explorer 6.0, Windows XP (using NTSF file system) and Norton CleanSweep. The fix is to download Dragon Naturally Speaking Service Pack 2, delete a file called "iexplorer.exe.local" and then install the service pack (check out information at <knowledgebase.scansoft.com> for better description). I tried it and Internet Explorer works as fast as it did before. But you know what, I have tried Mozilla (which is a browser) and like it better that Internet Explorer!

I deleted norton from my system and my slow ie fixed itself. I am running adware and spybot. I also have a netgear router to act as a firewall. WHat else should I use to protect the computer from hackers and hacker programs? I think I will try to return the norton 2004 edition (purchased last week) because it didnt help with spy ware and it bogged the system down.

Please Download hijackthis from

http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

After the scan has finished the "scan" button will turn into a "save log" button

save the log file and paste it here

Do not delete anything yet, as most things hijackthis finds are harmless and needed.

steam

here is my log of hijackthis.exe... can anyone tell me what i can get rid of thanks.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 2:42:32 AM, on 1/30/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ScsiAccess.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\carpserv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\WinAce\WinAce.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Greg\LOCALS~1\Temp\~AceTemp\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://store.presario.net/scripts/redirectors/presario/storeredir2.dll?s=searchfavweb&c=1c02&lc=0409
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://store.presario.net/scripts/redirectors/presario/storeredir2.dll?s=consumerfav&c=1c02&lc=0409
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [srmclean] C:\Cpqs\Scom\srmclean.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [imjpmig] C:\IME\IMJP\imjpmig.exe /RemAdvDef /AIMEREG /Migration /SetPreload
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bcmwltry] bcmwltry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoveCpl] RemoveCpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Advisor (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mov: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://store.presario.net/scripts/redirectors/presario/storeredir2.dll?s=consumerfav&c=1c02&lc=0409
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Poker - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/pt0_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab

Actually it looks ok! I dont have time to take a really good look though I off to work !
hijack should not be in a temp folder ,put in a folder of its on the root of C:\

I run IE6, Mozilla and Opera on an XP machine and I've been having the same problem. Mozilla and Opera are QUICK whilst IE6 is DB-Slow. I tried both AD-Aware and the IE6 Accessibilty TIP but IE6 still ran Slow. Then a colleague suggested changing the Windows Automatic Update Settings from the "Automatic Downloads" setting to the "Notify Me Setting". You get to it by "My Computer > Properties > Automatic Updates" from the desktop.

Since doing this IE6 is just as quick as my other browsers.

It worked for me....

Aston

The stylesheet thing worked for me.. thanks!
My IE's been running slow for a long time before this and it was a pain in the ass...
If I were to be typing out this message with the problem still occuring, it would take like 5 seconds for each symbol I typed to appear...

I too experienced a slow/jerky IE especially on ebay.

I have noticed that too! I have ad-aware 6.0 and I also use Norton.

I ran them both and still IE is slow. When i try to refresh pages it takes minutes to load. :sad:

Nothing seems to work...

It's seems that the suggested fix i posted a few days ago only lasted a few hours on my machine ie changing the settings on Windows Automatic Updates... So I continued looking for a possible fix as to why IE6 slowed down, and I finally tried something that seemed to sort it out.

My probs with IE6 just happened without me changing anything on the config so i looked at what has changed on my system. And at a fundamental level the only thing that changed was the system date !!

So I changed the year on my computer to be 2003 and lo and behold IE6 started running normally (and it still is !!!) I then changed the year back to 2004 and it is still running normally.

I do not know if the system date was the reason it ran slowly in the first place or whether this is some sort gigantic coincidence. All I can say is that after changing the year, running IE6 then changing it back, that IE6 now works for me.

I'd be interested in seeing if this works for anyone else.

Take it easy everyone

Aston

Update : please ignore my previous post as IE6 has now started running slowly again. Still not sure what is wrong but I'm beginning to have some suspicions as it started going slow when i made a small change to my AV software settings.

I will not post again until i have a definitive answer.

Apologies.

Aston

Great thread! One more piece of the puzzle solved. I had Smart Scheduling turned on with Diskeeper. Changed it to a static schedule and voila! All is well again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.