Hi.. I am currently looking for a really effective antivirus program. Then I stumbled upon AVG FREE 8. The previous version of AVG AV wasn't able to protect me from the nasties. So I would like an expert opinion about this AV program. IS this really effective? How is the detection and remove rate? Can this remove detected threats? Would you highly recommend this? How would you rate this program from 1 - 100, 100 being the top? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I recommend AVG free 8.0 in conjunction with Windows Defender (comes with Vista, but you can download it free for XP) and have never had a problem. 8.0 installs easily so you don't have to uninstall 7.5 first, and it updates much more completely and smoothly. It's a great program for the average user because it will pretty much take care of itself. For the more experienced user, there is a command line scanner for safe mode, and you are given the option to remove threats as a "power user," but be sure you know what you are doing before using them. Also, AVG 8.0 puts a little green checkmark next to "safe" sites in Internet Explorer 7, which is handy. There are those who will tell you to buy Norton or Trend Micro products...it's a matter of brand loyalty, I think. Norton is a system resource HOG and tends to create more problems than it solves, especially the firewall. I have seen plenty of people bring me a computer with Norton on it for spyware/virus clean-up that are clearly infected with rogues and such while Norton happily reports that they are fully protected. Likewise TrendMicro, MacAfee, and Webroot. The bottom line is, for home use, I find AVG to be superior in every way- just watch the web sites you go to and the things you click on. Going out on the internet, even with good protection, is like to going to Mardi Gras...someone's going to try to pick your pocket.

I agree with Andyone that AVG 8 is better than the average programme. Comodo is another very good site which has anti-virus,firewall etc. all of which are vry effective.
In all events, one must still do regular sweeps for malware, Trojans etc and Trend Micro's housecall is excellent but takes all night to run! Not the programme for daily use but certainly one a week or even monthly, just in case something has slipped in riding on an email for example or picked up when too casuallt browsing the internet.
Eternal vigilance but sooner or later something nasty comes your way.

I've had great luck with AVG, Avast is good too, but I like AVG better. I use it with microsofts security tools (mainly windows defender) and either comodo or zonealarm home (both free firewalls) It gives me a pretty strong security structure based entirely on free software.

I quite agree that AVG is a great tool. I'm also trying out avast on one of my laptops and Kaspersky's internet suite 2009 on the other!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.