Running Windows XP. This is my brothers computer. Not able to run IE, can't download anything. Ran Spybot and hijackthis. Spybot is coming up with FunWare and Starware. I am not familiar with either of these or the removal. Here is the first report after running spybot S&D.... I am running VundoFix now. Can anyone help?
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:03:16 PM, on 7/20/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal
Frankly see no evidence of Vundo on the computer. This really isn't a needed tool unless it is actually seen at this point.
Funware and Starware also are not noted anywhere in the log so possibly Spybot removed them.
Look in Add/Remove for both, if you find them then UNINSTALL.
Starware is generally a toolbar and Funware can be anything from smiley's to toolbars.
I don't see an anti-virus program on the computer, this is an absolute MUST.
Try these steps to help begin clean up the computer;
Download the ATF-Cleaner by Atribune to the desktop.
-- Click on ATF-Cleaner to run it
-- Where it says Select Files To Delete, Check the Select All Option
-- Click Empty Selected > OK
If you use Firefox browser, do this also:
* Click Firefox at the top and choose Select All from the list.
* Click the Empty Selected button.
* NOTE : If you would like to keep your saved passwords, click No at the prompt.
Also download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop
* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.
* You will need to use Internet Explorer to to complete this scan.
* You will need to temporarily Disable your current Anti-virus program.
* Be sure the option to Remove found threats is Un-checked at this time (we may have it clean what it finds at a later time), and the option to Scan unwanted applications is Checked.
* When you have completed that scan, a scanlog ought to have been created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please post that log for us as directed below.
After you have done all of that then please run a new HJT scan, save the log and post back here with the MBA-M log, the ESET Scanner log and also the new HJT log.