I have been looking through this forum for a solution to my virus problem, but decided to just see if anyone can help. Here is a summary of my symptoms:

Google/yahoo redirects to random websites.
I am unable to download ATF cleaner, MBA M, spybot or any anti viral software. I am either unable to download updates, or just unable to access websites to download them.
I have also been unable to download hijack this (as I understand this software seems essential for helping purposes).

My household has two computers, so when I first saw symptoms of viral activity I used my Zip drive to download anti virus software from the computer that was not infected. when i tried to use the software on the infected computer it did not work. I assumed I downloaded them incorrectly and thus returned to the uninfected computer. Upon doing this I believe I infected the other computer. Now both computers are showing similar symptoms. Please help!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hello and Welcome to Daniweb,

Can you pls do the following:

1. - Please download ComboFix by sUBs from HERE or HERE

• You must download it to and run it from your Desktop
  • Physically disconnect from the internet.
  • Now STOP all your monitoring programs (Antivirus/Antispyware, Guards and Shields) as they could easily interfere with ComboFix.
  • Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it will produce a log. Please save that log to post in your next reply along with a fresh HJT log

Note:
Do not mouse-click combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.

2. - Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Make sure that you restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

3. - Download hijackthis and post the log.

In your reply, post the logs (in this order):
1. - Combo Fix log
2. - Malware Bytes Log
3. - Hijackthis Log

Thanks,

Cohen

Thank you for your timely response. The virus is preventing me from opening either one of the links you provided for ComboFix. I also attempted to find it elsewhere on the internet, but was unable to open any link that would allow me to download it. Any suggestions? Again thank you for your help.

Do you access to another computer that you can download the files on and transfer them over via USB????

If so, pls do that, and then we run it.

Thanks,

Cohen

No. The only other computer I have access to is also infected. I think I infected it with my Zip drive. Thanks.

Alright,

Try downloading it from here. I would attach it to a reply but for some reason, it won't upload.

Thanks,

Cohen

uummm.... are you able to run MBA-M???

If not, then yes, download combo fix.

Thanks,

Cohen

Yes I am running it now.

I would still run combofix after MBAM as it may find other nasties.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.