Once downloaded, follow these instructions to install and run the program:
Create a folder outside of any Temp/Temporary folders for HJT and move it there now. A folder such such as C:\HijackThis or C:\Spyware Tools\HijackThis will do.
Run HijackThis, but do not have HJT fix anything yet; only have it scan your system! Once the scan is complete, the "Scan" button will turn into an option to "Save log...". Save the log in the folder you created for HiajckThis, open the log in Windows Notepad, and cut-n-paste the entire contents of the log here.
The log contents will tell us a lot about what "nasties" have crept into your system, and once we analyse the log we can tell you what to do from there.
- Click on the Edit menu option at the top left of the Notepad window. - Click on the Select All option under the edit menu. All of the text in the log should become hilighted. - Click on the Copy option under the edit menu. - Start a new post here by clicking the Reply button. - When the Reply window opens, click your mouse in the text/message entry box. - Then click on the Edit menu option at the top of your web browser's window and click the Paste option under the Edit menu.
That should put a copy of contents of the HijackThis Notepad file into your post. Just click the Submit Reply after that.
3. Reboot into safe mode (you get to the safe mode boot option by hitting the F8 key as your computer is starting up)
- Open Windows Explorer, and in the Folder Options->View settings under the Tools menu, select "show hidden files and folders", and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and "Hide extentions for known file types".
- For every user account listed under C:\Documents and Settings, delete the entire contents of these folders (but not the folders themselves):
Important: One of the normal steps in eliminating malicious programs is to entirely delete the contents of all Temp folders. Given that, if any data that you care about is living in those Temp folders, you need to move it to a safe location now, or it will be erased along with everything else!
1. Cookies 2. Local Settings\Temp 3. Local Settings\History 4. Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
- Delete the entire content of your C:\Windows\Temp folder.
- Delete the entire content of your C:\Windows\Prefetch folder.
Note- If you get any messages concerning the deletion of system files such as desktop.ini or index.dat, just choose to delete those files; they'll be automatically regenerated by Windows if needed. Windows will allow you to delete the versions of those files which exist in sub-folders within the main Temp/Temorary folders, but might not let you delete the versions of those files that exist in the main Temp folders themselves; this is normal and OK.
- Empty your Recycle Bin.
- Reboot normally.
4. Reboot normally, run HiajckThis again, and post the new log.