My PC is running win 98 and the internet has a web browser bar that comes up when on explorer. I have tried spybot and adaware and dont seem to have that much luck with removing it. I have also done the same in safe mode and looked in add remove progs to see if anything untoward in there. There was a searchweb2 that came up in the browser when first started explorer but I managed to get rid of this. Any help would be grateful. Regards Al :confused:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

To begin with, please do the following:

Download the (free) HijackThis utility:

http://www.stevewolfonline.com/Downloads/DMR/Spyware%20Tools/HJT/HijackThis.exe

Once downloaded, follow these instructions to install and run the program:

Create a folder outside of any Temp/Temporary folders for HJT and move it there now. A folder such such as C:\HijackThis or C:\Spyware Tools\HijackThis will do.

Run HijackThis, but do not have HJT fix anything yet; only have it scan your system! Once the scan is complete, the "Scan" button will turn into an option to "Save log...". Save the log in the folder you created for HiajckThis, open the log in Windows Notepad, and cut-n-paste the entire contents of the log here.

The log contents will tell us a lot about what "nasties" have crept into your system, and once we analyse the log we can tell you what to do from there.

My PC is running win 98 and the internet has a web browser bar that comes up when on explorer. I have tried spybot and adaware and dont seem to have that much luck with removing it. I have also done the same in safe mode and looked in add remove progs to see if anything untoward in there. There was a searchweb2 that came up in the browser when first started explorer but I managed to get rid of this. Any help would be grateful. Regards Al :confused:

run Ad-Aware SE Professional Edition in safe mode by holdin F8 KEY when starting up your computer then run the scan. Also run Norton antiviruse in safemode sure take care of your problem. The reason why you can't get ride of the viruse is because your it running as a process when in regular mode and the file is write protected.

run Ad-Aware SE Professional Edition in safe mode by holdin F8 KEY when starting up your computer then run the scan. Also run Norton antiviruse in safemode sure take care of your problem.

Unfortunately, even that may not work. Even when run in Safe Mode, Ad Aware, SpyBot, Norton, etc. cannot deal with many of the current threats out there.

Cheers for your help

Were you able to remove the toolbar and/or any other "unwanted guests" that you found?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.