Member Avatar for lurajoonami

you read right, I followed along with windows easy guide to install IE6 located here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378

And after it was done installing it told me that I'd to restart my computer. So, innocently, I did.

But when it was about to load the main screen to the desktop a windows safe-mode window pops up saying "...cannot find [something].dll file" and three of those same windows show up, which all have the title: winlogon.exe...[something, I will check when I am on and write all of the details down]

now, after that, a window that prompts me to restart my computer shows up, the only options I have are to restart and it just loops the same thing [again I will input more details once I am on it again]. Now, I'm sure installing Internet Explorer 6 again while following windows' clearly easy instructions here
would not give me these errors. But who am I to say that?

anyways, any help from any one is truly haled upon by me. I will add in the missingdetails once I am on that computer again.

Some information for my reason for installing IE6 again is because someone in my family decided to rid of IE on the computer and delete the registration keys. Now I know that IE is vital to many programs on my other computer, and whoever won't claim to attempting to un-installing it is a fool.

The guide I followed on the windows site is near the bottom where it sais:

To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps:
1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.
To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
4. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.

6. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Bold=path I followed

although, I didn't install the XP updates... :rolleyes: A total freak accident...I think I regret it.

I want to thank the admin of this forum for free sign-up on the forum and support from members.

Member Avatar for lurajoonami

I've gt it fixed, no worries.

What was the problem? Your solution may help someone else :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.