Whenever i press ctrl+alt+delete my task manager opens (no surprise there) However, it stays open for about 3 seconds than closes on its on. It does this everytime i press ctrl+alt+delete and it wont stay open long enough to do anything. I have tried restarting my computer, but that doesnt help.

thanks, hammy

Recommended Answers

All 31 Replies

did you try right-click on the start bar and select Task Manager from the popup menu?

commented: Thank you for trying to help with my virus +1

Yup, it does the same thing :(

Whatever you got, you managed to pass on to your brother (said he got if from you in an IM). You'll probably find the same thing happens if you try to open Services (in Administrative Tools).

Between the two of you, maybe we can figure out what it is and how to get rid of it.

Scan with HijackThis and post your log in the Virus forum (not in this thread).

Whatever you got, you managed to pass on to your brother (said he got if from you in an IM). You'll probably find the same thing happens if you try to open Services (in Admininstrative Tools).

Between the two of you, maybe we can figure out what it is and how to get rid of it.

Scan with HijackThis and post your log in the Virus forum (not in this thread).

oh man, i should of told im not to download it. Its a stupid thing a whole bunch of people are downloading it, i didnt download it though. It sends messages to all your friends that are online to download a new msn or something, and when u download it you get a virus. it sucks.

uhhh...but ya i will post my HJT log in a couple minutes. Oh ya and i tried the services thing, you were right. dang it.

EDIT: OMG! The virus closes HJT if you try and open it too! I have a feeling this is going to be a though one to get rid of..

Reboot into Safe Mode and scan with HJT. Try to warn as many people as you can about this before they get infected!

Never mind booting into Safe Mode, that won't work either.

Use System Restore to set your system to a time before you got this.
(Note: after using System Restore, you may have to again deal with the other problem you had recently -- http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread30034.html)

Never mind starting a new thread in the Virus forum, I'll move this one there.

* is said brother*

i believe antix.c is the name that appears in the task manager, however i fixed the problem on my computer so i cant be sure

to fix on windows 2000:
1. hope that you havent restarted your computer since recieving this malware - or i dont know how to fix it
2. restart your computer using the USE LAST KNOWN GOOD feature (can be accessed by pressing f8 during startup
3. yay your done!

well this worked for me, if you have XP i assume that the System Restore feature would work as well, or a third party restorer if you had one isntalled prior to recieving the malware

problem is, i have restarted since then :eek:

Have you tried System Restore yet?

Here's some info on Antix:

"An MSN Messenger worm that spreads through a message that tries to get the target user to download a new Messenger update by following a link. What is downloaded is "kernel32.exe", which can disable security related programs and be used to download additional malware. (Sophos)"

http://facetime.com/impactcenter/threatdetail.aspx?id=1091

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32antixa.html

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/alerts/article.php/1031_3527531

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142_7-0.html?forumID=32&messageID=1362195&threadID=119994

problem is, i have restarted since then :eek:

you have XP

System Restore allows you to go back to any date, go back to the day before it happened

i dont know how to do system restore though.

dad you could of showed me but you guys left in such a hurry i didnt even know.

how did you get that info? i spent like a half hour on google looking up antix.c and didnt find anything.

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you'd like to restore to.

I didn't know you were having a problem.

I searched for antix, instead of antix.c; .c is most likely a variation of .a and .b since the symptoms are the same.

whats it restoring? will i loose all my infromation from the point after when i restore?

you have XP

System Restore allows you to go back to any date, go back to the day before it happened

Not 'any' date; any date that a 'snapshot' was taken :)

Hammy, use the most recent Restore Point before you got this infection.

You can try 'Last Known Good' on XP too:

Reboot your computer, press F8 during the boot process, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

I have tried restarting my computer but that didn't help

Anyway, run system restore from inside XP. If you can remember what day the problem started happening, restore to a point behind that.
Make sure to install any updates or drivers that may have been "restored" over.

Also, am I missing something? Why hasn't anyone suggested a virus scan yet?

commented: Thank you for helping with my virus +1

system restore wasnt turned on, so i cant go back to any date.

Why hasn't anyone suggested a virus scan yet?

This worm disables anti-virus programs. However, an online virus scan may work, try one (or more) in the 'Cleanup' link below.

I tried the "Most recent good" thing, no luck :(

I looked in the link you said to and i didnt see anything about an online virus scanner...

all of those links are invailid except for the last 2, thanks though i will do a scan

All of the links are valid, but some of them you may need to run from IE instead of Firefox.

The first 3 links are still giving me a "Page cannot be displayed" error. I always use IE, except when im at your house. Thats probably the source of most of my problems...

The last 2 virus scans didnt do anything, and I can't get to the other sites. I think im screwed.

Theres nothing wrong with my IE, so i dont know how those are supposed to help. I ran both, nothing noticable happened. Task manager still doesn't stay open.

And guess what happened today?

My xbox died! Yup, my life just keeps getting worse...

scanning with ewido now, i will scan with counterspy later, i have to restart my computer to use it. Ewido is at 12% and has already found 13 infected things, so I think this one might work. I will edit with a log when scan is complete.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.