Hi. I am looking for a few some security tools for my windows laptop. I already got a third party firewall software but now i require an antivirus. Besides Microsoft Security Essentials, are there other good antivirus products to recommend. Thanks:)

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

not sure MSE makes in high up in many of the best free lists[ i use but i only go to help forum 90% of the tie ] Avast[ used it a few yrs ago ] usually make the top of the free list .

top 10 with reviews .
http://www.freeanti-virussoftware.net/
google results.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=top+10+free+antivirus+programs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

commented: Thanks for the links +9

I agree with caperjack. MSE rarely ranks "up there". Avast is excellent. Avira Free is quite good, however, due to Avira's recent partnering with Ask.com to add the Avira SearchFree tool bar and Trialpay to help cover the cost of providing the WebGuard extra, which is included in their paid version, many forums have removed it from their lists of recommended free programs. This WebGuard with it's Ask.com provided SearchFree tool bar certainly is not required and this has resulted in many, many complaints posted on their forum.
IF you watch their installs closely you can opt out of these toolbars in Avira but of course many people neglect to watch these installs and end up with these toolbars. They certainly are NOT needed and often are flagged by anti-malware scanners.

Have never been a fan of AVG. On several other forums where I post there are a lot of infection removal threads where AVG was the av program installed so I personally would not recommend it. But "to each his own".

The Rising Antivirus Software Free Edition 2011 on caperjacks link was tested by a fellow at another forum and his results were not good. With scanner settings set at Medium/Default;
Quick Scan produced very high CPU usage which remained extremely high during the entire scan. Scan took 4 minutes to scan 1509 objects. Full scan test resulted in 9 false positives during the first half of the scan. This is his test machine and some of the objects found were rkill, TDSSKiller, Erunt Backup software and it's backup folder, CodeStuff Starter, the latest Java Installer along with installers for several other programs including Avast. He uninstalled the program but found their own uninstaller did not work correctly and also uninstalled his wireless connection files but left 10 of its own files behind. He was forced to use Unlocker to remove it. So that would be a no on that one from me.

commented: Nice review +9

I thought that MSE was good because studies have shown more windows users use them. I have heard of Avast. And from what you guys said, it seems an exellent product. Avast is on my list now. One last question is there a need to install two antivirus products. Some said, in case one of them fail to remove the virus, a second software would be needed. But is that true.

I thought that MSE was good because studies have shown more windows users use them. Have no idea what "studies" you are reading but never have seen that anywhere. Just because some program has a lot of users doesn't make it a good program to use...P2P programs for instance, lots of people use them and all of them are putting their computers at risk. Does that make P2P programs good programs? Hardly.

One last question is there a need to install two antivirus products

The ABSOLUTE RULE is ONE anti-virus program and ONE firewall should be installed on a computer NEVER two of either at the same time, ever.
Having two installed at the same time will lessen your protection because they can fight each other and miss the infections.

Try the Windows version of the open source AV program ClamAV, called ClamWin. ClamAV is used as the core for a number of commercial business-use AV appliances. You can get clamwin here: http://www.clamwin.com

Thanks guys for all your help:)

You're welcome!

I thought that MSE was good because studies have shown more windows users use them. I have heard of Avast. And from what you guys said, it seems an exellent product. Avast is on my list now. One last question is there a need to install two antivirus products. Some said, in case one of them fail to remove the virus, a second software would be needed. But is that true.

I keep a copy of AdAware on my computer but disable the real-time protection so it doesn't fight with my other antivirus, I just use it for scans. I have had 2 or 3 situations in the last couple of months where other products could find an infection but AdAware was the only product that could remove it.

Sorry, but using adaware to keep your PC safe is like using a chihuahua to guard your house.
Adaware is not an AV either, so will do nothing if one has a virus.

Sorry, but using adaware to keep your PC safe is like using a chihuahua to guard your house.
Adaware is not an AV either, so will do nothing if one has a virus.

... like I say, "I keep a copy of AdAware on my computer but disable the real-time protection so it doesn't fight with my other antivirus, I just use it for scans. I have had 2 or 3 situations in the last couple of months where other products could find an infection but AdAware was the only product that could remove it. "

The poster above had asked about using a second anti-virus. That was what I was responding to.

I did said that. But Jholland had replied to me saying that one good antivirus is enough. There is no need for two.

... like I say, "I keep a copy of AdAware on my computer but disable the real-time protection so it doesn't fight with my other antivirus, I just use it for scans. I have had 2 or 3 situations in the last couple of months where other products could find an infection but AdAware was the only product that could remove it. "

The poster above had asked about using a second anti-virus. That was what I was responding to.

And as I said, Adaware is NOT an anti-virus :).

And as I said, Adaware is NOT an anti-virus :).

crunchie is 100% correct, no matter what it calls itself, AdAware is NOT an antivirus program.

if you are after free ones i would reccommend either AVGFREE or AVAST! ANTIVIRUS if you dont mind paying MCAFFEE cannot be beaten

AVG is not one I would recommend. And the poster requested Free Av program, but am not especially crazy about McAfee either. There are much better paid AV programs out there. Avira Premium and Kaspersky currently are ranked the highest by AV Comparatives, an independent tester.

Hi,
Well my opinion is avast antivirus is very active in your pc, because this antivirus fits of your needs. I have attached a list of antivirus programs with specification find out yourself which fits on your needs.

<snip>

Regards,
Federic

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.