I have a similar laptop problem as GoldenEagle4444 had: http://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-software/microsoft-windows/viruses-spyware-and-other-nasties/threads/347315

and

"the application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect."

Before the errors occurred, I was using autosurf, so it might have affected my machine, and it got it really bad.

Except mine had two problems as stated in the title. Either of those errors show up whenever I click on an .exe file so I had to use an ipad app to download fixes I googled and ftp to my laptop to get rid of the error. I tried exefix_vista.reg, File Association Fixer.exe and MicrosoftFixIt50194.msi, even a System Restore but none of them worked. I ran malwarebytes antimalware full scan this morning before the error occurred, but it found 0 malware. Then I notice the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe has only the PersistentHandler folder in it, not sure if theres anything else missing there.

I tried running Windows Update to get Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Serive Pack 1 Redistributable Package. But I got a failed installation. Im not sure if it has something to do with it being an .exe file and it wont open.

So this is what I did most of the day, and its a bit frustrating that I cant run anything I use for work :( Hoping to get some step by step instructions. Im no geek but I'm patient and can learn easily. Sorry if there are any rules that I broke since this is my first post. I have no p2p software running.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I can use My Pc and do a work-around to get everything, but it's a noble suffering having to take that many actions to start a submit like My Records, My Images, etc. If this is the incorrect message board, I say sorry. I have definitely no idea as to where this question should go.

By the way, the OS I'm using is Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1, 64bit.

Nevermind.. Solved it on my own :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.