My wife has been complaining about a virus on her computer for a few days now. I finally witnessed a "Just-In-Time Debugging" window pop up. It fails to open the thread, but its trying to open ping.exe. I can see it in the task manager, and even kill it, but only for a few minutes. Unlike some of the threads that I've seen, the process is not taking up much of the CPU.

After reading a bunch of threads on the topic, from multiple forums, I looked up ComboFix. The website says that only a "trained professional" should be guiding me through this. I'm not a professional, but I'm familiar with computers (must be to be a part of the forum!).

Does anyone know about the complexity of this program? And if it is really that hard to use?

Any help is much appreciated!

Does anyone know about the complexity of this program? And if it is really that hard to use?

It is quite easy to use and you will probably need to use it for this infection.

But, combofix is a complex tool and, should things go awry (and they do all too often), you'd be well served to have a knowledgeable volunteer around to help you....

So, Do Not run combofix just yet.

Your best starting point would be here:

http://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-software/microsoft-windows/viruses-spyware-and-other-nasties/threads/134865

I or another volunteer will check back as time permits.

Cheers :)
PP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.