My email address, business logo and picture have been hijacked. I have been getting emails from my own email address with my business logo attached offering me a job. Most recently I recieved an email from a meetup group with my email address from a group that I am not a part of. WHen i contacted the Outlook team they told me to change my password (I had changed it 8 times)so they told methat there is nothing they can do and to contact Microsoft. When I did, the tech support person told me that it is impossible for me to recieve an email from my own email address. I told him it was not because its' happening. NO answers. WHO can I contact for help before this gets much worse?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

It must be very frustrating for you. I'm sure you've tried various anti-virus and malware removal utilities. Unfortunately once a system has been compromised it's almost impossible to guarantee there isn't something lurking in the background that can reinfect the system.

To clean the system more thoroughly a disk format and OS reinstallation is required. This is something your local computer repair shop should be able to do for you, if you're not inclined to do it yourself. But be aware that any existing information will be erased, so backup anything important beforehand.

This means that my computer has been compromised and not someone out in syber-space? So my computer needs to be erased? Basically.

I'm sure you've tried various anti-virus and malware removal utilities.

The problem is that neither of these do anything for tailored access (they're not even designed for that). If you want to keep a company or individual secure, then you'll need to be aware of the mechanics of attacks. You also need to adapt a strong policy to keep yourself safe.

This means that my computer has been compromised and not someone out in syber-space?

It's the same thing.

So my computer needs to be erased?

More then that. Erasing your grimy computer would be a start.

1) Stop re-using passwords. Every account should have a strong unique password. I would recommend using KeePass2. This is probably one of the first things I would look for during penitration testing once a password was found. Example of why this is bad: http://xkcd.com/792/

2) Use a strong master password. Good scheme here: http://xkcd.com/936/ .

3) Don't install junk on your computer. If it doesn't come directly from a reputable companies website, then don't install it.

4) Don't fall for phishing/fraudulent websites. For example, if a website looks like facebook, double check to make sure it actually is facebook. If a website looks your email, make sure it is your email. If a website claims you need to update flash player; it's lying (and if you want to be sure, download flash from adobe's official website), and things like that.

5) Reset all of your passwords (using KeePass2, make sure your database is backed up). Also reset your security questions, etc...

6) Make sure your identity wasn't stolen. For example, finantial information left in your email could be used as "proof" that the attacker is you, etc...

If there is anything in your email or computer that can be used for no good (like your financial information), you'll need to take care of that. For example, if you think they might have gotten a credit card number, contact the bank.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.