Hello everyone. Lately I have been downloading alot, and noticed that my computer was acting up. I downloaded AVAST antivirus to try and get rid whatever was wrong. After running it, it found and deleted many ad-ware, trojans and viruses. There was one it could not get rid of called ''Win32:Trogen-gen''. Ever since i ran the virus scan my computer won't connect to the internet. My computer is connected to a main computer. I checked the settings on mine and it said that it is connected and the internet should be working.
I have no clue what to do and where to start trying to solve this. Any help would be awesome.

thanks so much.
-pinkbathwater

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

WEll u have some options which might help though im not sure:
1-format and start a clean slate.
2- update or upgrade ur windows(not new installation)to recover missing files...
3-install norton internet security OR zone labs internet sec. AND install anonymizer(anonymizer.com) anti spyware and this one is great i tell ya.
4-if ur using DSL check ur LAN, and default IPs, check ur fire wall,clear history and cookies....
again i dont know wat is it but hope this helps...gud luk

The removal of certain types of adware/spyware/viruses can sometimes "break" your TCP/IP software or web browsing capabilities, but there are fairly simple fixes available.

As this is an issue related to malicious infections rather than to Windows operating systems themselves, I'll move this to our Viruses, Spyware, and other nasties forum.

If you're running Windows XP SP2, try the quick and easy fix first:

* Click on the "Run..." option in your Start menu. In the "Open:" box of the resulting window, type "cmd" (omit the quotes) and hit Enter. This will bring up a DOS window.

* At the DOS prompt, type the following command and hit Enter:
netsh winsock reset catalog

* Reboot the computer and see if you have Internet access.

** A note from Microsoft regarding the above procedure:

"Warning Programs that access or monitor the Internet such as antivirus, firewall, or proxy clients may be negatively affected when you run the netsh winsock reset command. If you have a program that no longer functions correctly after you use this resolution, reinstall the program to restore functionality."

thank you so much. my internet is back up, now it's just super slow because of a virus. can you recomend a good free virus program?

thank you so much. my internet is back up, now it's just super slow because of a virus. can you recomend a good free virus program?

AVG http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

I'd recommend AVG as well.
While you're at the AVG Free download page, you might want to download the free version of ewido antispyware that is available on that page. ewidois a very good spyware detection and removal tool; your computer will be well-protected if you use ewido in conjunction with AVG.

Hi, I removed an Adware virus off of my windows XP last night, i tried the "fixes" above and its still not connecting. All it does is continues to "aquire" connection. ive tried to delete the nework and start over, tried to "repare" connection and it always gets to the renewing ip process and it stays there. My friend bounces off my wireless access does this have anything to do with me not being able to connect? Please help me fix this :) Thanks in advance

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.