Hi to everyone here and thanks in advance for any suggestions. Let me preface this by saying my computer skills are very limited, so speak slowly, lol.

I have an Emachines T6534. About 2 weeks ago, out of nowhere, I got a blue screen error message. Something about nv4.dll file being the problem and saying that the device driver thread was stuck in an infinite loop. Also at this point when I could get going normally my video was acting weird. I would get little static marks on my screen and a little flashing. I went to Nvidia site and downloaded the updated driver for my card, GeForce 6100. This really didn't help anything much. Finally, last Wednesday they put up a newer driver version which I installed and that one works great.

I'm left with this problem though....Windows will not load on the first attempt anymore. Right after the black Windows screen comes up, it goes completely grey and then black. I have to hold in the power button to turn it off and try again. Some days it's twice, other days I've tried for 30 minutes before it works. If I manage to get to it I have to use the Last Good Configuration option to get in, but even that doesn't always work.

Tried System Restore but it didn't help. I don't get it because I changed nothing, downloaded nothing, installed nothing and from one day to the next it was there.
Once it starts it works perfectly but I can't let it hibernate or it will shut down, so I just leave it running all day. Also it won't re-start when I ask it to, it shuts down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

my video was acting weird. I would get little static marks on my screen and a little flashing.

Sounds like your gaphics card is overheating and screwing with your system. If it overheated bad enough for artifacts to appear on the screen, your card could be permanently damaged

The video problems have stopped since the latest driver update. Video and graphics are perfect now. Problem is getting my computer started so I can enjoy them.
An overheating problem makes sense though because on every OTHER attempt to start I don't get the usual series of beeps but instead what sounds like one of the fans getting louder and louder until I turn it off. ???
Should I buy a new video card? Is that something I can install? I have added a memory stick to an old computer I had. Is it as easy as that?

if the graphics card isnt built in (is indeed a card), theb a graphics card install is about as easy as installing more memory is. Hardest thing (like with memory) is finding out what type of slot you have and getting the right one to fit it. Consult your motherboard maual, but its usually PCI Express or AGP (pci express is newer and faster but older machines will have AGP)

Thank you so much. At least I have someplace to begin now. Will start looking into what I have and will need to replace it after the holiday. Thanks again for your time.

OK, I've replaced my onboard Nvidia 6100 graphics card with a XFX GeForce 7300 card. Graphics are working perfectly but still having startup problems. Now at least it only takes 2 times to start. I push the button, monitor remains black and computer gets louder and louder. Turn it off and back on again and all works perfectly and everything starts.
Any suggestions? Oh and I still can't let it sleep or hibernate because it will shut down. Also will not restart if I choose that option, it will shut down.
Thanks again.

sounds like one of the fans getting louder and louder until I turn it off.

This may be to simple to be the cause but 'loud fan?' Could it simply be the bearings in you power supply cooling fan are shot? Stuck cooling fan means the power supply heat isn't being blown out... heat and computers don't mix well and can show all sorts of problems.

sounds like you dont have enough power to power the geforce.

New power supply?

-

I was having these problems even before the graphic card replacement. Are you saying the problem may have been the power supply all along? Would my computer work perfectly in every way all day long even if I had a power supply problem? Any way to test the power supply or am I destined to learn how to rebuild my computer piece by piece until it works, lol??
Thanks for your replies.

It could well be the power supply. My understanding is the PS doesn't have quite enough oomph to start, but can manage when the machine is warmed up by the first attempt. I've seen this several times.
Anyhoo, I have found these devices invaluable:
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=246
They even sell them in Office Depot nowadays.

I was having these problems even before the graphic card replacement. Are you saying the problem may have been the power supply all along? Would my computer work perfectly in every way all day long even if I had a power supply problem? Any way to test the power supply or am I destined to learn how to rebuild my computer piece by piece until it works, lol??

It could be the power supply. when the cooling fans go they do make quite a noise.
On the bright side, PS is easy to remove, get it looked over by a techie (geek squad or someone), and they go back in just as easily.
If you are unsure just put masking tape on the leads and connectors...
reconnect A to A, B to B....
You will at least isolate the problem or rule it out.

Thank you all. Will check out the power suppy next.

OK, I've replaced the graphics card, (as previously stated) and now I've changed out the power supply to a 350 Watt type that was needed by the card.
My computer still won't start on the first attempt. Everything works perfectly on the second attempt.
I'm happy with what I've done so far, since changing the graphics card did solve the problem of having to start MANY times before it would work and these 2 items are good upgrades anyway (and cheap, lol). Just wish I could fix this last problem.
Any ideas? :)

350 isnt really enough by the way. also a cheap 350w is only about 250w in reality, as they quote max output (the amount it can outbut before say, catching fire) instead of the safe output

I tend to agree. The symptom is the same, so the PS is still my favorite suspect.

OK, I tried going back to using my old graphics card with my newer power supply. It worked before with the old 300 watt supply, so should work with the 350 one and should let me know if the problem is my underpowered new card.
Still have the same problem of not starting on first attempt. Perfect on second. Doesn't look like a power supply problem, although I'm still going to return the 350 for a 500 when I get a chance.
Anything else I could try before I give up?

OK, I tried going back to using my old graphics card with my newer power supply. It worked before with the old 300 watt supply, so should work with the 350 one and should let me know if the problem is my underpowered new card.
Still have the same problem of not starting on first attempt. Perfect on second. Doesn't look like a power supply problem, although I'm still going to return the 350 for a 500 when I get a chance.
Anything else I could try before I give up?

Actually, that's a typical PS problem.

Hi to everyone here and thanks in advance for any suggestions. Let me preface this by saying my computer skills are very limited, so speak slowly, lol.

I have an Emachines T6534. About 2 weeks ago, out of nowhere, I got a blue screen error message. Something about nv4.dll file being the problem and saying that the device driver thread was stuck in an infinite loop. Also at this point when I could get going normally my video was acting weird. I would get little static marks on my screen and a little flashing. I went to Nvidia site and downloaded the updated driver for my card, GeForce 6100. This really didn't help anything much. Finally, last Wednesday they put up a newer driver version which I installed and that one works great.

I'm left with this problem though....Windows will not load on the first attempt anymore. Right after the black Windows screen comes up, it goes completely grey and then black. I have to hold in the power button to turn it off and try again. Some days it's twice, other days I've tried for 30 minutes before it works. If I manage to get to it I have to use the Last Good Configuration option to get in, but even that doesn't always work.

Tried System Restore but it didn't help. I don't get it because I changed nothing, downloaded nothing, installed nothing and from one day to the next it was there.
Once it starts it works perfectly but I can't let it hibernate or it will shut down, so I just leave it running all day. Also it won't re-start when I ask it to, it shuts down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

I'm not an authority by any means but I just replaced a mobo after my PC was doing exactly what yours is. When I pulled it apart there were two bulging capacitors by one of the PCI slots. Fortunate for me Foxconn replaced it under warranty. Hope that helps and good luck.

Hello,
I have the same machine, the T6534, and I too need to hold down the power button to turn the computer off and then turn it on again to have it boot. When I turn it on it does not do anything except run the fan, then after the force power down and switch on it works. The guy who started this said he changed his PS and did not work. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help....

Joe

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.