Hi all,

So this is a prblem I've had for a while now. I've since given up trying to get my pc to start up right, having moved to a crappy laptop for my computing needs for the time being.

It all happened about 2 or 3 months ago, after leaving my pc running for all of 5 minutes to get something to eat from the kitchen, I come back to find a black screen. THere was nothing going on a first, so I simply restarted the thing, turning it on and off. Once I did that though, that was when everything started turning to crap. After muberous attempts to start the pc up again, it would boot up, only to then blink-out and resart after only a second or two of logging into the desktop.
After bouts of this, the computer now refuses to log in at all to the XP Home desktop, instead displaying a standard, centralised login box where you enter your name and password. Each time I try to login, it attempts to, but immediately kicks itself back out into the login screen again.
I've had a poke around the forums for a bit trying to see if there was anything I could do.
Now that I have an XP Pro disc from a friend, I was going to perform a reformatt. I've accepted that I'll loose everything, I'm fine with that. Now the porblem I have is, whenever I come to 'boot from CD' any attempt to press any keys to get the thing working, doesn't. It just loads up the login screen without doing anything.

I'd like to fix my pc without taking it to a shop, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The pc specs are as follows

FujitsuSiemens PC

Win XP Home
P4 3.0ghz
1024mb ram
160gig HD

Hi all,

Now the porblem I have is, whenever I come to 'boot from CD' any attempt to press any keys to get the thing working, doesn't. It just loads up the login screen without doing anything.I

sounds like the keyboard isn't functioning when you need it to .if its usb KB ,try a ps/2 KB keyboard

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.