Everytime I leave my computer idle for any time, the computer restarts itself. I'm running xp pro. I only started having this trouble after I reinstalled xp on a new hard drive that I installed in the computer. Now it will come up with a error message and when I report the error, it says that the problem associated with symantec and the updated patch is SYMEvent.SYS but when I download and install, it still does the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

can you please tell me where to find this SYMEvent.sys download
i looked everywhere and cant find it

Everytime I leave my computer idle for any time, the computer restarts itself. I'm running xp pro. I only started having this trouble after I reinstalled xp on a new hard drive that I installed in the computer. Now it will come up with a error message and when I report the error, it says that the problem associated with symantec and the updated patch is SYMEvent.SYS but when I download and install, it still does the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

me have a similar problem, if im downloading stuff and leave computer 4 a while it crashs & me @ start again time, its really mashin me swede, so if u have any interesting & simple replies 2 ur problem do let me no. me running xp home & aint the coolest dude in town wen it cums 2computing talk so keep it idiot proof. gud luk. regards. bluedawn. : )

me have a similar problem, if im downloading stuff and leave computer 4 a while it crashs & me @ start again time, its really mashin me swede, so if u have any interesting & simple replies 2 ur problem do let me no. me running xp home.

I'm not in front of an XP machine right now, so this is from memory. What you need to do is shown here (you may want to keep the monitor on longer, but otherwise you should get the idea).

What may be a little trickier for you (but just as important) is checking the BIOS setup for power-management stuff there, too--since there may be a conflict between the BIOS stuff and Windows, especially (but not exclusively) on older machines. This looks useful.

Did you ghost you're old files from a different computer?If so the HAL may be pre ACPI which would cause no end of hassle.If you did let me know but it's very complex to fix without a full re-install.

This is only in case TallCool1's suggestion doesn't work as his does seem the most likely cause

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.