I have Norton AntiVirus 2007 installed on my HP Media Center computer, running Windows XP.

Yesterday I tried Norton’s Live Update to download the latest definitions. I received a “LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed when it ran. “ error message toward the end of the update.

Norton directed me to a web page to containing a HotFix tool. When I downloaded the HotFix tool and clicked on RUN, I received an error message that stated “The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. This would occur if you are running in Safe mode or the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.”

So I thought I would uninstall the software and then reinstall to see if that would fix the problem. I then received the this error message, “Setup was unable to update the MSI system component. Please visit the link below for more information.”

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001112111324439

This took me to a Symantec web page that gave detailed instructions on how to download from a Microsoft web site, and install the latest version of the Windows Installer.

I followed the instructions but it did not fix the problem. I still get the same error messages as above and I keep chasing my tail. I don’t know if it’s a real computer problem or a software clinch masquerading as one?? Also, I tried RESTORING the computer to an earlier date (s) and now that won’t work either.

For now I can get by, but when the Norton subscription runs out in a couple of months I’ll be in trouble because I won’t be able to get the outdated version off my computer; this pretty much shuts down my access to the internet.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS
Mike

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

An update . . . I went to Symantec web site and used one of their programs to remove Norton AntiVirus from my computer; it worked. However, when I tried to reinstall it the MIS error message came up and the reinstall failed, both from my disk and from a link on their web page.

I ran Restore again and this time it worked. Went back 2 weeks. Tried to reinstall the Norton program and it failed as before.

I made some progress but now I can't reinstall the antivirus software.

AnY suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks

one do you have any other antivirus or antispyware running on the computer?
go to control panel, admin toll services and look for the windows installer, make sure it's not disabled or stopped, if it's stop start and then try the installation. and set the service to automatic.

Did as you suggested. Found the Installer and set it to automatic. Restarted the computer, verified that that change took effect, tried to install the software, it failed again to install for the same reason mentioned in the original post.

What next??

Just went back to the service area of the control panel and brought up the Windows Installer menu. Clicked on START and received this message. "Could not start the Windows Installer service on local computer. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified."

The path specified on the menu was
C:\WINNT\System32\msiexec.exe /V

I don't a WINNT directory on my C drive. My msiexec.exe file is located in my c:\windows\system23 directory. Should I just change the path??

I just attempted to change the "path to executable" and it wouldn't let me do it. How do I make the change??

I only know how to do this from the registry. If you want to change the path of the service do the following:

1. Click Start then Run in the run prompt and type regedit and click ok
2. This is the Windows registry. I just happen to exactly where this entry is in the registry because I have dealt with this problem before: My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer

...just navigate by clicking the plus signs and you will see the path grow at the bottom left of the window as you expand to the MSIServer folder. Once you get there you will see a key called "Image Path" and the data will have that inaccurate WINNT entry. Correct that to WINDOWS and hopefully the Installer service will launch.

I have dealt with these Windows Installer problems before with Symantec products and if memory serves me, resetting the Installer service with the tool from Microsoft did the trick. If you had done an upgrade from 2000 to XP and something got fouled up when the fix ran it could've put the WINNT in the path thinking you were still running Windows 2000 instead of XP. Maybe Norton did it. Why? Because it is evil! I think Microsoft still has "Windows OneCare" for free if you want to try that one out. I generally go for McAfee stuff...their ASaP program allows licensing for three computers at like $40/yr or something.

i did ask you if u have any other antispyware/antivirus on the pc?

if you do they will some times prevent you from editing certain services

Followed your directions and changed the path in the registry. Went to Symantec web site and used one of their tools to completely remove any remnants of old Norton products. Reinstalled the software using their download, everything is fixed :-) Thanks for your help.
MIKE

commented: Cool! +6
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.